Door J Hinge Adjustment - Help Wanted, no Needed

Gents, hate to even ask but I have read every thing I could find on adjusting the J hinge on the door, but getting it set still alludes me. With the nose on, the door contacts the nose at the "90" degree corner of both as it open and closes (just enough it will rub the paint off). The door has been sanded to eliminate any flange in that section. The hinge only has the one adjustment at the heim joint on top (short or long). Those of you who don't have a contact issue, which direction should the heim joint go (shorter or longer) assuming this is the adjustment to stop the "90s" from making contact.

Turning the heim in will pull the door away from the body quicker. However the risk is you may lose some of your opening angle if you turn it in too much as it may cause the J to contact earlier. The other risk is it may pull your door fit up and outboard so you may need to open up the thru-holes where the J mates with the door skin.

Grind the upper edge of the door down until there's ~3/16'' of material left or so.

Looks scary but it's fine .... hasn't cracked or done anything untowards to me in almost 10 years.

door1.JPG
door1.JPG

Apologies Dan - I think I may have had it backwards, further out on the j pushes the door away quicker. Been too long since I played with that now :(

Back