Engine problems help !!!!!!

Hi everyone, I am looking forward to the end of season run but only if I can sort out a bit of a prooblem that I am hoping someone can help me with.

As you may or may not know I am a new member and to be honest know very little about GT40's other that the historical facts and I now have a little bit of an engine issue!!

My GT40 has an SDS semi racing engine 5 litre and goes like a train, however "Gerald" as he is affectionately known has sprung a leak!

I managed to get underneath at the weekend, cleaned of the underside and have a good look, the only thing I could find was that the oil filter was sligfhtly loose, I thought that may be it but alas after a new oil change the leak has re appeared:cry:

Now the dipstick for the engine has no real marks on it, just some writing saying this way up (or something like that) and a made in Japan or something else futher up with what appears to be some sort of mark!

I assumed that this was the fill level marker but to be honest I don't really know, I had topped the engine up with oil because of the leak so what ever came out when I did the oil change may not actually be the correct volume!

The engine has excellent oild pressure even when the dipstick is reading half of what is now currently is, the engine oil pressure reads 50psi on tick over when hot and 80psi at 3000 revs.

Here are two qustions, if anyone can help I would appreciate it.

1. If you overfill the engine is there a vent that could dump some of the excess oil, hence the leak?

2. Does anyone know the number of SDS so I can contact them.

3. Is there anyone in Hampshire (ALTON) that can have a look at it for me, clearly I am happy to pay for this.

Thanks in advance and I hope this thread fids you all well.

Kind regards:thumbsup:

Aidan

Hi Aidan -

If you overfill the motor, there is a chance it will push a seal out, can you tell us approximately where the engine is leaking?? also - as you've changed oil, how much did you put in?

I don't know the number for SDS but will be over in the Alton area myself tomorrow daytime and could possibly drop by for a look when I finish, time permitting.. Otherwise i'm based in Milland nr Liphook.

PM me your details if that helps and I'll call you to discuss further..

Aidan,
Frank Catt used to look after your car, so ask him.
Never take any notice of dipstick marks unless verified by a competent authority. Dipsticks and sumps aren't sold together, so you will need to calibrate one to the other.
You will need to establish where the oil level should be in relation to the crank centreline, then calculate where this should be on the dipstick. Frank did this for me on my engine and proved that the mark the previous owner had used was running the engine on just over 2 pints of oil!
This may not answer your immediate question, but the engine's long-term well-being will depend on it.
Tony

Aidan,
Frank Catt used to look after your car, so ask him.
Never take any notice of dipstick marks unless verified by a competent authority. Dipsticks and sumps aren't sold together, so you will need to calibrate one to the other.
You will need to establish where the oil level should be in relation to the crank centreline, then calculate where this should be on the dipstick. Frank did this for me on my engine and proved that the mark the previous owner had used was running the engine on just over 2 pints of oil!
This may not answer your immediate question, but the engine's long-term well-being will depend on it.
Tony

Yikes! - 2 pints! - I'm suprised it showed any oil pressure once running or above idle.. Also - you'd have thought that they might have noticed something odd on the first oil change.

Spot on re dipstick calibration, there's no 'standard' from what I have experienced and each application should be determined individually.

Paul,
Fortunately I never ran the engine with this amount of oil, other than to listen to it when buying the car.
It went down to Frank's for 'modification' (read so I could get in and drive it) straight after and the first oil change was when we calibrated the dipstick. Now it takes 12 3/4 pints - but that's my engine, with my sump.
Incidentally, if anyone is going over to the US or knows someone coming over from there, ask them to put a couple of Motocraft FRD FL-1A oil filters in their luggage. They are the kosher filter for the SBF, cost pennies and are available at every Ford agent in the land.
Tony

Back