Front Side Marker Lights

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
I put this in the Exterior Tech forum and got no replies. Maybe you guys will know the answer.

Does anyone know for sure which front side marker lights are used on almost all original GT40s with driving lights in the lower lighting recess? I think they are Lucas L488/471. The only thing that throws me is that they look like they are mounted in such a way that there is no bezel on the outside. This seems a weird way to mount them. There are two other possibilities: they are not Lucas L488 lights or the photos I am looking at don't give me the resolution/closeness to see the bezels? (Or my old eyes don't have the resolution to see them )

Please refer to the example photo of 1076 found at http://www.racingicons.com/gt/1076.htm (can't get a URL reference or images to work??)

Hi Lynn, I agree, I think they are L488 with L471 amber glass. Check this link I sourced these from http://www.vintagemotorspares.com/.They certainly look like the originals are mounted from the back.Don't know any people with a real one. :( We managed to mount these from the inside with the rubber boot forming a weather seal from the inside. You could mount them so just the glass came thru. Mounting this way makes the light virtually flush with the exterior body.I am now attempting to post a pic of mine..here goes.
cheers

Attachments

• 26941-side_indicator_fitted.JPG
    26941-side_indicator_fitted.JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 554

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Dave,

That looks very nice. I have mounted the typical turn signal in the recess below a oval fog lamp, but I am concerned that other drivers that are close and from other angles might not see it down there. Therefore I was considering placing one in the same location that you have and as seen on several original cars.

There is another aspect I noticed on the rebuild site mentioned above, but I think I will start another thread on that.

Regards,
Lynn

Lynn
That light was a "Pit ID" light. It enabled the crews to know which car was which at night from a distance. The one on my MK-IV was inside the car at the upper left of the windshield and was blue.

does anyone have any info on the circular driving lights? A part number or model info would be greatly appreciated!

Even better does anyone know a source in the UK??

THanks in advance

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Here is how they did it:

http://www.racingicons.com/gt/detail19.jpg
Copy the URL above into browser for an image of Side Marker Mounting Hardware.

Figure 19 - Gulf GT40 team cars had specially mounted front side marker lights. The assembly includes Lucas glass lens, Lucas bulb holder, special backing plate, and original tall style nylok hex nuts.

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Julian, there was a discussion on that here sometime ago. If my memory serves me correctly, it was some sort of aircraft landing light.

Regards,
Lynn

Thanks Lynn,

I've searched on this one a few times, & found only questions with no answers! :smirk:

I'm sure you're right, they may well have been an aircraft light. However, as I'm only after the 'look' & some better main beam, I'll try & find a pod fitting spotlight. If I find anything I'll post.

cheers!

Julian,
I've used Hella 135mm universal lights. They come both with and without parking light. Older beemers used to have four of them.
I've used the pots from a -79 320i to fit the light and to get some adjustment.
There are some photos of the car with these lights on my homepage.
Merry X-mas to you all

I have studied the John Wyer cars at length (albiet afar!) I also thought that the side indicators were pit ID lights but they are only in amber on all the cars I have seen and the pit ID on these cars were centre of the radiator and on the right rear wheel arch. I now believe that these were indeed direction indicators as there was no space due to the large driving lamp (currently of unknown origin ).I think we need John Horsman to put this to bed (if he is still alive and kicking)
cheers Dave

Hi Dave,
John Horsman is still alive and kicking,
I spoke to him at Laguna Seca earlier this year and recently via mail.
I will see if he can enlighten us on this one

Back