Grassroots Racing - GT40 Snub??

G

One of the reasons that I bought the December issue of Grassroots Motorsports was this headline in the top right corner: "Specialty & Kit Cars: Complete Guide" What a joke! There was not one word about the GT40 in the whole article. I have always considered GRM as the premiere coverage of that aspect of motorsports that I am most interested in, but I think we ought to let the publishers of GRM know that the GT40 world is out here, we want to play and we aren't going to take no for an answer.
Not long ago there was a thread discussing the ways in which GT40 replica owners could get some track time with their cars. This article does do a good job describing the landscape for competing in replica cars. I just wish it would recognize our cars and deal with the particulars confronting GT40 owners.

Lynn, you are completely right, but on the upside of things, this means less people know about the GT40 kits, so greater exclusivity and more WOW factor when the public see you cruising along.
Still not too impressed with leaving the 40 out, but there is a little good in there I guess.
Adrian

Lynn,
Not to worry, the editors of Grassroots will have up plenty of oppurtunities to see a GT40 in action next season.

The SCCA SOLO 2 championships are held right here in Topeka. The event is only about ten minutes from where I live.
Although this is not a "track" event. (SOLO 2 is autocrossing/gymkhanna, for those of you across the pond)

,,,this is a major motorsports event with over a thousand competitors every year.

Grassroots has been to this event for coverage every year. I intend to enter my GT40 in the event, and it will be soooo loud and bright, they won't be able to ignore it!

I also have a friend who is a national champion at this event, who I may have do some of the driving.

I've already looked at the rulebook, and it seems that the GT40 can fit into the A-prepared class.

Hopefully, I will have my car running early enough next spring, to be able to sort it, at the many local events.
I then plan to have my SOLO champ friend drive the car as to get comfortable with it.

Even if the car isn't a podium finisher, my bet is that it will get plenty of attention !

G

Being who I am, I had to send an email to GRM and let them know how I felt. Here is their reply:

Subject: Re: Specialty & Kit Cars: Complete Guide
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2002 13:46:57 EST
To: [email protected]

Sorry, we didn't mean to slight anyone, we're just not seeing too many GT-40s in motorsports activities here in the U.S. We'll keep our eyes open for them.
We do like them, really.

David S. Wallens, managing ed
Grassroots Motorsports www.grassrootsmotorsports.com

They should have no problem "seeing" a bright yellow one with open pipes & slicks, pass by their booth at the nationals next year!
smile.gif

If I see Tim Suddard there, (the magazine's editor), I'll be sure to offer him a ride & a few minutes in the driver's seat.

Back