GTD wireing diagram

Mike Pass

Supporter

Cheers
Mike

Mike Pass

Supporter
Click on the link I posted. Scroll down to Jim's post, click on the attachment, and download the zip files Click on the downloaded zip files to open them. They are a little basic but all the info is there.
Cheers
Mike

O thanks, l didn’t know how that works
Now l got it, will see if l can find a solution to my problem.
What suddenly happens is that the engine don’t stop immedately when l switch off the ignition NOR if l turn off the main switch! It is still running a few seconds, feels like until it looses the fuel from the carburetor. I had a theory if the power to the ignition is going through a relay?
any suggestions would be appriciated.
thanks for help.

Neil

Supporter
What suddenly happens is that the engine don’t stop immedately when l switch off the ignition NOR if l turn off the main switch! It is still running a few seconds, feels like until it looses the fuel from the carburetor. I had a theory if the power to the ignition is going through a relay?
thanks for help.
Running on the alternator?

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Exactly. Try unhooking the alternator and replace it with another unit. I think this will cure your problem.

Regards Brian

I believe as well it is running on the alternator, but it is a “new” problem, the engine have always stopped immediately if l switched off the key or the main switch ! So something have happend, but what?
l will have the alternator checked anyway.

Sean S.

Supporter
thanks for help.

If you find the alternator isnt what is causing the issue.

Have you changed to a lower octane fuel or swapped to a hotter plug? Both can cause it to diesel a bit.

Mike Pass

Supporter
A little more information would be helpful in diagnosing your issue.
Does it continue to run for a long time or just for a few seconds?
When keeping running is it running smoothly?
Does it happen when the engine is cold?
What fuel system are you running? Holley, Webers, fuel injection?
What ignition system? MSD?
Iron or ally heads?
If it runs for a long time after switch off then it is likely to be the alternator at fault possibly due to the electronic parts failing. Check for it maintaining voltage at the coil after switch off with a multimeter or circuit tester.
If it only runs for a few seconds after switch off I suspect that the issue you have may be "running on" or " dieseling". This is caused by hot spots in the combustion chambers igniting the mixture in the cylinders. These red hot bits of carbon are usually caused by too rich a mixture. Check the spark plugs to see if they are sooty. The red hot carbon bits are often on the plugs. The cure is to correct the fuel/air mixture to burn off the carbon build up and fit new plugs.
These tests should help in figuring out the issue and the cure.
Cheers
Mike

Tanks all for your time and suggestions for my issue.
l found the cause to be the main battery switch causing this, l have such a rally type switch that can brake not only the battery power but also the system power and alternator. There is a short in that switch so the system was always powered.
Hope you understand what l mean :))

Back