Gurney Eagle engine specs?

By any chance does anyone know the engine specs of the original Gurney Eagle engines? Camshaft, pistons, rotating assembly, etc. I'd also be interested in the specs of any other Gurney Eagle engine builds anyone may have information on or built,.....and indeed any parts, builders, and suppliers.

Many thanks for any and all information :)

Neil

Supporter
Elliott;

If you are talking about the Eagle that Dan Gurney ran in his "stock block" Indy Car in '81, it was not a Chevrolet as reported almost everywhere, it was an aluminum-block 350 CID Donovan. Gurney's Donovan block is in my car now.

Hi Neil,

Wow! Your car gets more impressive the more I learn about it! A piece of history there in that engine! And you built an amazing car to house it :)

Actually though, I am seeking information on the sbf 302 with the Gurney Eagle/Weslake heads as fitted in the Gulf cars if anyone has any info.

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
ELLIOT,

I CAN'T SEEM TO FIND ANY INFO ON THE INTERNET REGARDING THE ROTATING ASSEMBLY... I'LL KEEP LOOKING... ANY HELP OUT THERE ???? ANYONE ???
This is what I am running with iron heads.
Cylinder Block: Cast Iron, 4 bolt mains, part no. 0-XE-136505
Crankshaft: Forged Steel, part no. 0-XE-1326257
Connecting Rods: Ford Indy, part no. SK34375 (GT10/3/3777)
Pistons: Ford / TRW, part no. SK368666 (GT40/3/9043)

For an "Eagle" engine the camshaft might me milder but the Le Mans camshaft is Part Number C7FE-6250-A
Lash 0.020"/0.025" Duration: 318*/304* I/E Lobe lift: 0.330" lobe Valve Lift 0.510” Overlap: 94*

Last edited:
THANK YOU JIMMY MAC.. I AM SURE THIS INFO WILL HELP WITH ELLIOTS NEEDS..WOULD THERE BE ANY VALVE CLEARANCE CONCERNS USING THIS CAMSHAFT AND PISTONS WITH GURNEY HEADS ??? WHAT COMPRESSION RATIO IS YOUR MOTOR AND WHAT CC'S ARE YOUR HEADS ?? ANY MORE INFO IS GREATLY APPRECIATED
THANK YOU IN ADVANCE
WALT

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Elliott and Walt,
I think that Weslake Engineering in the UK would help with the spec for Eagle heads.

My original GT40 engine was built by Mathwall with Gurney Weslake heads back in the day and amongst the paperwork, I have the original build sheet for it.
The part numbers mentioned previously are all standard late 1966 GT40 parts.
Other bits include a dual point or transistorised distributor (in a special casting).

The compression ratio with the Weslakes was 10.18 with a 3.00" stroke. (compression rings fitted)
Valve to piston clearance was 0.125"

Last edited:

Ron Scarboro

GT40s Supporter
Supporter
No, but I did adhere to the LSA specified and I am running a lot of timing. I'm making 550hp @ 7500rpm, so spec'd to that by my engine builder.

Gurney did produce a 4v manifold in aly to match the Eagle heads as part of the road car kit that he had hoped to sell to Ford.
On a 5.4 litre GW ( William Mills Head) I ran a hydraulic roller with .608/587 lift, 289/304 dur with 12.5 comp. Custom steel crank, Carrillo 5.315" rods, custom JE pistons in a sleeved '69 boss block. Cam has an LSA of 108 deg a bit IDA unfriendly but then the engine ran Fuel injection on slide throttles.

There were many combinations in engines by Gurney, continous developement etc. I have pics of an Alloy 'tall block' that was out to 344ci that was tested with 3 different rod length/piston height combos, Moldex cranks. Another engine was out to 375 ci. Unless you were 'there' and have a very good memory & notes I think it would be a very big task to track all the info down.

They sure look good!

Attachments

• Gurney Eagle 351.jpg
    Gurney Eagle 351.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 1,315
By any chance does anyone know the engine specs of the original Gurney Eagle engines? Camshaft, pistons, rotating assembly, etc. I'd also be interested in the specs of any other Gurney Eagle engine builds anyone may have information on or built,.....and indeed any parts, builders, and suppliers.

Many thanks for any and all information :)
I have an article from near 10 years ago or more, concerning a Ford 289 with Gurney-Westlake heads on the engine XE 136505 that was run in a Lotus 30 or 40, beginning around 1968-69-70. Very Interesting article, the heads were Gurney Westlake, the block was cast in England used on open wheeled cars like the Lotus back in the day. I will dig out the article and put more information out here so as if anyone is interested, it will be available for a small fee. I used to have a 289 block with a casting number of XE 136505, just as the engine was about to be completed, our world fell hard and we are yet to recover. I sold the engine to a guy in CT, which he was going to put it in a Cobra Coupe...don't know that he Got R Done, he did get a deal on an engine. The article is 11 pages, double sided, also have an article concerning 5.0L Ford with Webbers,, the right heads , cam etc., to produce over 450hp. That is impressive. My name is Rich, Phone is 616-228-7817, Where is Sparta, MI, Call or Email [email protected], if interested. I read an article 8-12 years ago where someone was making Reproduction parts for the Gurney West Lake Engine Blocks/Heads/Cams, etc., but I did not save a copy of that.

Elliot, There are part #'s within the article also for cam kit, piston brand, rod part number, crankshaft. I gleaned through it and saw them. Send me an email and I will sent the article for you. Put your name in the subject line. Thanks, Rich

Back