Hello from a CAV racing 40 based in Cape Town

Hi All

I have been a member for some time but have not really been active and have, rudely, not introduced myself. Sorry!

I race a full blown CAV GT40R (race version) at Killarney Cape Town. I also race a Reynard Formula 3 - both in the club classes. The 40 is as close to historical as is practical but does not have a passport as the brakes are heavily upgraded with Tilton, Performance Friction, Willwood etc. I also run some mild aero which I am unconvinced makes a material difference.

The gearbox is an 01E with a Porsche 930 limited slip diff. Clutch is a custom sintered button clutch but I would like to upgrade to a multiplate but this is not so straightforward given the 01E spigot to the clutch plate needing to be custom made.

Engine is a Windsor Ford block stroked to 347 on a Scat forged crankshaft and all the race stuff done for bracing. Pistons are forged. Edelbrock performer RPM heads. Solid lifters. Weber 36 IDFs.

The car was personally built by the master engineer Jean Fourie who designed the CAV and is now a friend of mine - the man is a genius!.

I also run a Porsche 997 GT3 and a 996 GT3 but they never get a look in as the 40 is so absorbing.

I look forward to getting all of your advice and tips!

Thanks

James

Power is around 390 HP on the wheels and torque is 520Nm. Motor can be pushed a lot more but there is no need as the torque is what you drive on and there is more than enough. I've never thought I needed more power but if I ever do there's plenty still to be extracted.

Attachments

• 40 interior.jpg
    40 interior.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 174
  • 40 with new silencer.png
    40 with new silencer.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 182
  • CArbs.png
    CArbs.png
    188.6 KB · Views: 173
  • GT40 100km race.jpg
    GT40 100km race.jpg