Hello, Kevin with SL-C Desires, Help!!

Hi there,

My name is Kevin,
First off, I want to start with I am new to this forum and new to posting on forums. I have always looked on them for information but this is my first time ever writing to one.

I am a car lover true and through for as long as I can remember. Being fresh out of college and in the automotive engineering field, I feel right at home. I am extremely interested in building an SL-C kit but need some advice/encouragement/advice from any SL-C or other kit car builders. From following though multiple builds, page for page, 2 things have happened;

1) I get even more rev'd up about the project seeing how, at least in my eyes, each and every SL-C is truly one-of-one. Despite how many are out there, every build is owner specific thus making no two alike. I LOVE THAT! This is one of the biggest reasons I have been caught up on the idea of an SL-C project.

2) On to what is holding me back and the "whole enchilada" of why I am making this post. From every post I saw for these cars, owners seem very well versed in making brackets/ odds and ends/ and having the cnc, milling, welding equipment to do so. This is an area where I do not feel I have the tools to excel in. I know you can always go out and pay for anything at all to be fabricated but my pockets do not support that mentality. Anyhow, some of these owners have textbook quality solutions to some of the issues that come up and I question if I could replicate such quality.

Please respond to my concern or with any other tips, insight, reasons to/or not to take the plunge into this exciting project.

Thanks for reading and I look forward to communicating with such a great and influential community.

I am going to take a factory tour hopefully soon here and looking forward to that day very much.

Welcome to the forum.

With respect to your second concern, I do not think there is any single step to building one of these cars that you could not do.

Yes, there are some very skilled fabricators here, but you can certainly build one of these cars without a lot of elaborate fabrication.

This site has a lot of very helpful people who can walk you through any obstacles you may come across.

I will say there are very few things as rewarding as building your own car.

Joel K

Supporter
Hi Kevin,

Welcome to the forum,

With regard to number #1, totally agree, the SLC is a unique component car and after I saw it on the net, then saw Stephan’s Build in person I knew it was the kit I wanted to build. I went to RCR which was recommended by Stephan to see if I fit in the car and just as important to see the various options and components first hand so there is less guessing on what to buy. The visit was also just a lot of fun to see the various projects underway at RCR.

With regard to #2,

If you watch Allan’s video series from the beginning you will get a really good perspective of what it takes to build an SL-C. You will not see him using any sophisticated tools. There are also many other build threads to review which gives you a sense of the trade offs of the ease of a standard build vs. custom builds. The more custom touches the more work and potentially requirements for more tools.

I really don’t think you need a huge investment in tools to build an SLC. To make aluminum brackets only require a cheap band saw or jigsaw, drill press and a sander. It’s amazing what you can get at harbor freight for the dollar.

I am 4 months into my build and doing a build video series from a beginners perspective. Since I have chosen to include many non-standard items which requires a lot of thought and custom work I am leveraging the various tools I already own. I could have had RCR fit the LT4 engine in the car for me avoiding much of this, but chose to do that myself. I happen to own a mini mill and drill so putting it to good use. But in reality it’s certainly not a requirement.

This is my first build and I am absolutely really enjoying it. All the custom work I am taking on is really challenging my abilities, but taking things slow, asking a lot of questions and when it comes out great it is really satisfying.

Good luck with your decision.

I've been watching your build. I am so impressed with your process! I always look forward to each of your posts! I have just started my SLC. I'm still taking it apart and purchasing the fittings and miscellaneous parts I need to actually to begin going forward. My car is pretty unique (I guess they all are). I've got a custom SBC with an Alien Intake, Dry Sump, Penske Shocks and Ricardo transaxle.

Joel K

Supporter
Jeez, I goofed up my first comment! I was talking to Joel. Oh brother!

Thanks Steve, glad you are enjoying my build log. I am enjoying putting the log and the videos together and appreciate the feedback.

An SBC will be a very cool build. Do you have a build log going yet?

Always available to speak on the phone as well.

Joel

Hi Joel,

I'm really enjoying your build log. I love your process. I have to admit I've watched each of your videos about 4 times. I'm finishing up my FF Daytona now. I'ts painted and i'm in the polishing stage. After that I will start final assembly. It has a coyote engine, tremec 5 speed and IR suspension and wilwood brakes etc. That was my first build from start to finish. I've been working on cars my whole life, but mostly customizing Porsche's. Going from the frame up including bodywork was a great learning experience. I spent about 8 months on the body and paint so far. I did the painted stripes and gumballs and numbers. In total, I'm up to 18 months since delivered. It took about 8 months to get it on the road in go-cart state. I'm only able to work on it at night after I get home.

My SLC has this crazy custom Paul Krause built SBC with a NRE Alien intake. Originally it was supposed to be a twin turbo. So, the engine was built for 1500hp. Recently I've decided that NA is much more sensible, so I'm adjusting the build so it will wind up with about 550hp. I have the Penske Shocks and Ricardo transmission and the full carbon package with a race tail and CF wing. I'm building the exhaust myself as well as all the fan shrouds and all the required brackets from aluminum. I taught myself to tig weld aluminum over the winter. So, I'm ok with some basic tig welding. I also have a meziere water pump and dailey dry sump with a 2 1/2 gallon peterson tank and breather. I'm trying to understand the cooling system better as my waterneck is blocked by my intake. I also have to figure out if I should be using an accusump and oil cooler. Of course I have some huge challenges with the brackets for the a/c compressor and the alternator. The car is set up for v-belts now rather than a serpentine. I'm intending for the car to be a street car. I want a factory looking interior and as close to being a daily driver as possible (not that it would be). I just want my wife to feel comfortable when we take it out. We've driven the Daytona a few times and it is one scary beast of a car. So, a few more manners would be nice.

My main focus for the past 2 months since I got the car is taking it apart, studying the components, watching videos and reading everything available. I've purchased all my heat shielding and sound dampening materials too. I've also purchased all the a/n fittings and fuel system components. I even went to visit Allan twice since he and I are both in Ct. I'm actually seeing him this weekend to talk and have some dinner. It's been great to have him as a resource.

Where are you located? Did I hear new jersey in one of your videos?

My Cell is 203-948-5095

Thanks for reaching out. I can use any help you can offer!

Steve

Back