Key blank for Roaring Forties

Keith

Lifetime Supporter
Now that we have completed RF 036 the owner is concerned that he only has the one ignition key. BB0B20CA-D1AC-405F-A159-7D9DA5381A8D.jpegD63B9237-8C8A-4BBA-8D3D-122C38943A8F.jpeg
I have not been able to locate a suitable key blank to cut a second key. We have a locksmith here locally looking as well as a locksmith in the UK but we have not been able to find a match.
I am putting this out here in hopes that someone here has dealt with this before and has a solution……
Thanks,
Keith

Hello Keith,

Is that out of a steering lock or a fascia mounted barrel ? The key looks very conventional to me (old fashioned, I supposed a youngster would say....)
Reminds me of a British Ford TC or TX type.
I suppose walking into a traditional locksmith whose helpful & willing to do a bit of searching is the only way ?

Keith

Lifetime Supporter
I just looked on eBay, you are correct the key does look like the Ford TC/TX key. Going to order a few and measure them up.
Thank you,
Keith

what does the steering column look like. I'm not familiar with what RF used for the original steering column but suspect it was probably something easily available in Australia. Most likely a simple hatchback type car like a Ford Laser or maybe a Cortina (there was a TC Cortina, is that what your referring to with the TC designation.)

No TC & TX are key types in this instance. They were the last 'normal' keys before Ford (of Britain, at least) went to Chubb (hedgehog profile) and then Tibbe (diamond profile).

TC (Taunus - Cortina) as a car I'm familiar with, as the Mk3 Cortina / Taunus ranges jointly developed by Ford of Britain & Ford of Germany, when the car lines became much more aligned. Unless we want to talk about Twin Cam Cortinas ?!

I don't know for sure but I'd guess an Aussie Ford Laser key would be a Mazda item ?

Regards Steve

Hi Keith
I have an RF1 (early car) and the column came from a Ford Telstar, 1980’s model from memory.
Does your lock look like this ?

Clayton
811117D6-2B66-4967-81B6-A6E216A8CF45.jpeg
103FF738-9411-43E4-A61C-248230A529D8.jpeg

Keith

Lifetime Supporter
This RF has a dash mounted ignition switch and i believe it had a ford logo on it……but, it has been two years since i last saw it.
i have ordered two TC/TX key blanks off eBay to see if they will work.

Back