Mk IV J-3 Race and Ownership History?

Does anyone know the race and ownership history of Mk IV J-3?

Also, is there a GT40 chassis registry to be found online? I've searched google and this site for both, but without luck.

Thanks for your help!

Don't know about J3

If you seek home addresses for current owners you might be out of luck

Here's a listing to get you started :

Ford GT40 Chassis Numbers

Alternately you could get a copy of one of the main books eg Spain

Last edited:
Don't know about J3

If you seek home addresses for current owners you might be out of luck

Here's a listing to get you started :

Ford GT40 Chassis Numbers

Alternately you could get a copy of one of the main books eg Spain

Thanks for the response. Could care less about home addresses, but I do need social security numbers...ha.

From what I could gather, J3 was only driven at the Le Mans trials in 1967 and never in an actual race. This is helpful - thanks again.

A photo history of J3 thru its 'evolution' into what we know as the 'MkIV' style would be interesting. Spains book gives most of the history up to 1984 in my copy.

J-3 is currently owned by Nick Soprano of Motor Classic here in White Plains, New York. It had substantial test miles but never raced. While it evolved into essentially the MKIV version, there are differences between it and J-4 which won Sebring and J-5 through J-8 which raced at LeMans (and there were minor differences between these cars as raced by the Shelby team and those raced by Holman and Moody, as well).

See the SAAC Registry for current information concerning the cars.

Jim Holden

See the SAAC Registry for current information concerning the cars.

Absolutely. It's essential reading. The recently re-issued and updated SAAC register will answer the vast majority of questions concerning most GT40s' racing and ownership histories, and J-3's story is well covered there.

John

Back