New forum section - what say folks?

Ron Earp

Admin
It looks like ALL GT40 gets covered with lots of questions of all different types. Just what we expected!

But, for technical questions some of the threads die before they seriously get answered. So, how about a GT40 Technical section?

How do you feel?

R

G

Ron,

Great idea.

Also ... the forum is building a very sound technical content. PLEASE make sure you back it up so that all this stuff is not lost due to some ISP screwup. You might eventually want to make the entire backlog of posts available on CD for local searching ... could help pay the bills for the forum.

Thanks ever so much for your support of the community!

Ron,

It's the tech stuff that's most important to the rest of us. I'm with GT40 MKII for having divisions. Great idea you have there!

Have fun!

John

Good Idea, but the reason that threads get lost is that people wander off the subject too quickly, before the original question is fully answered. How can we stop that happening? The idea of backing up on a CD is also good, but how can you keep out the unwanted c***?. The Forum is the only website I visit daily, and I cannot begin to say how usefull it is! Frank

G

Sounds like a good idea, Ron! Really enjoy this forum. Need to get to Raleigh to see your project. Only about 3 hours away..

Ron,
I tend to use the search function to find
what I want about a peticular subject.
That usually brings up all the disscussions
relating to my search.
One idea might be to have tech articles
written and put up under a "How To"
heading. A for instance would be an article
on body panel alignment. This system would
eliminate the same questions being posted.
If someone had a question about the article
they could e mail the author and he in turn
could reply and also edit his article if
nessasary.
If you decide to do this I have two
articles that I wrote pertaining to the
swan neck gas fillers and the spyder.
The car may be different but they all share
relevance to certain installations. I
can also write an article on body paint
preparation if that would be a need for
some of the members.
Another idea would be to list volunteers
that have a certain knowledge. Each
volunteer would have a list by his name
indicating that knowledge.

Hersh
smile.gif

Ron Earp

Admin
Good point Frank. I've occasionally tried to steer the thread, and even locked it once, when the topic got off track. One instance was of chassis design, which I think lot of people wanted, but it got bogged down into this car or that car.

So, I think a technical section would be good. Lets try it out and see what happens.

Hershal, the FAQ would be a good idea and we can do that as well. Let me get this technical forum going and then we can make an archive of technical "How To".

Ron

This forum is great. I see no need to change it. I'm sure different people have different preferences, so could there be an option to view all threads/view by type etc?

I'd rather see all the threads on one page, & sort thru them myself, by title, rather than have to go to lots of diferent pages to get all the gen...

The Forum works really well as it is so why change?

Ron, I think you have a great idea here. I for one would very much appreciate a technical section including, but bot necessarily limited to, the following threads: chassis; brakes; suspension (including uprights or separate thread for uprights); body panels; glass & windows; tires; engines; transaxles; manufacturer comparisons; etc. Hopefully in the technical threads those posting would be more inclined to stay on the technical topic while the other non tech threads would be used for the other stuff. That way when we are in need of some tech info we would not have to search through a lot of sometimes unrelated info. Keep up the excellent work!
Best regards, Blue

Ron, I very much like Hersh's idea concerning "articles". After I made my plunge I immediatly went to the search function, and brought up panel instalation, which was of big concern. There is obviously a great deal of talent and experience here, with an article base and a followup discussion anyone who comes along later to build/buy/repair will have a good starting point.

As an aside, I have followed a number of auto forms over the years, most have come and gone, but this and the boxster board have been most informative and civil.
THANK YOU

I'd really like to see articles or an FAQ as well. Back in the day of Usenet, most news groups had an FAQ which was posted monthly. I've wondered why that concept didn't carry forward to discussion forums. And, just going through the process of collecting an FAQ could get some really good discussions started.

And, yes, when I grew up it was 10 miles to school, in 5 feet of snow, uphill both ways.
wink.gif

I'm also for a Tech forum. Maybe label it for constructor's questions? I wouldn't break it up too much beyond that, at least not at first. I also don't like searching a lot of forums for the latest info.

This forum should definitely stay for "free form" questions. Thanks for the great site!

Back