New from Guernsey. Channel Islands.

Hello, My name is Greg Guille. I am 45 year old mechanical engineer living on Guernsey in the Channel Islands which is close to France.

Like a lot of people I have been in love with the GT40 since I was a ten year old boy watching re-runs of the 24 Heures Du Mans on the TV. I have nearly 30 years experience of building cars and I have done some complete restorations. I am experienced in all types of fabrication including pattern making to reproduce castings.

I am looking to do some research with a view to getting a replica car to run in amateur closed road racing on the French mainland. I compete in several events organised by the ACO and have been severely bitten by the "Historic Scene" over in France.

I would be really grateful to receive any advice on what to look out for. I need to have a car that is road registered and easy to drive on regular roads at 60 MPH as well as running on competitive sections.

As far as looks go I would like to run as early looking a car as possible. I am keen to keep to the spirit of the original car and keep wheel sizes as small as would have been fitted in the 60S etc. It must have a Ford engine and I need to have as genuine looking car as I can find.

I hope to have lots of replies!

Greg Guille.

Greg, looks like the 40 will fit the bill, Ford 302 smallblock still available, most have been built in the spirit of early models, and will run at slow traffic speeds as well as "at pace" One issue you may face is the regulations for racing. I'm no expert but I have seen enough on here to know that you may need to have a car with the correct credentials to take part in historic races. I'm sure there will be many more informed replies, but if you are over in the mainland west country and would like a look over a mk1 just drop me a line and we'll see what we can do.

Hi Chris,
Thanks for the reply.

Being based in the Channel Islands, I am only 8 miles from France. Speaking both languages, I have been able to negotiate a "Leave to participate" in French long distance hill climbing with non compliant cars. Yes it is not racing per se but a 5 kilometre hill can really give you the feeling of the now long dead road races of the 1950s. I have found another activity I want to do which is historic car navigational rallies like the Tour of Brittany or the Tour of Fougeres. These are Gentleman drivers in friendly competition over a 75 to 100 kilometre route. Low stress for the cars and drivers. Replica cars are welcome as these are more aimed at having a nice afternoon rather than the cut throat competition scene. One reason I am looking at a 40 is that I am sick of the rule makers in some forms of semi serious competition so I am looking for a fun car to do the occasional outing at events like La Coupe Florio. It is worth a look on youtube!

Regards,

Greg.

Thanks Nick,

I will ask about when I am next over in Jersey, mind you it's 26 miles away!

P.S. the island where I live is 9 miles long! :shocked:

Greg.

He He, just noticed the Union flag is up against my name on the left.

Hope it's not a problem to mention, It is the wrong flag!

It should be a Guernsey Flag!

I do speak English but sorry, no English heritage here!:shy:

:laugh:

Back