NYS inspection question

I called the DMV to work on registering my newly finished vehicle and they told me after weighing in and filling out paperwork that they have someone from field investigations that comes to you to inspect the vehicle, does this sound right? On the paper work to fill out its pretty clear that you have to bring it to a facility, where that facility is I have no idea, any help?

I called the DMV to work on registering my newly finished vehicle and they told me after weighing in and filling out paperwork that they have someone from field investigations that comes to you to inspect the vehicle, does this sound right? On the paper work to fill out its pretty clear that you have to bring it to a facility, where that facility is I have no idea, any help?
I went through this process last year with my cobra Build. I had to trailer my car to the field investigation shop in Amityville where they went through the whole car and paperwork. Took all of about 3 minutes lol and I was back on the trailer on my way home legal with vin sticker. I highly doubt they come to your house I’ve never heard of that.
thanks

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Years ago, in Michigan they came to your house and did the inspection. Not sure now.

Regards Brian

thanks, yeah it was a weird conversation, the DMV guy was so certain that it was a home investigation, thats why I'm here to get the straight skinny on it, does anybody know if there is a facility in suffolk county

thanks, yeah it was a weird conversation, the DMV guy was so certain that it was a home investigation, thats why I'm here to get the straight skinny on it, does anybody know if there is a facility in suffolk county
I’m near stonybrook, I had to bring car to to Babylon off 231 just south of expressway. not Amityville sorry just realized lol been a long day.

I did this last December in NY. Had to trailer car to a DMV facility in the Bronx, where they inspected paper work/receipts and chassis plate to ensure that nothing in it was stolen. Most of the cars there for inspection were salvage rebuilds I think. Not a safety inspection in any way, though maybe they looked at the quality of the build and decided it was good enough that basic safety issues were covered.
There's a guy named Matt at DMV Albany who was very helpful in getting the process sorted out.

Back