Painting headlight recesses

How they looked before...

Attachments

• 34098-40-pic.jpg
    34098-40-pic.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 341
Interesting that Dinky painted the recesses red on their diecast version of the Ford 40 RV (I'm assuming RV stands for Road Version).

Anyway, something to put into the ever-slowly increasing file of photo tips for my car.

Rick

Attachments

• 34183-Dinky_40.jpg
    34183-Dinky_40.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 344

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Simon, that looks really, really nice !

BTW, did you decide to use any type of "gasket" between the perspex covers & the f/glass bodywork ?

My headight covers are just bolted straight onto the f/glass for the present, but 2 or 3 kms on a flat-bed tow-truck in the rain has already left muddy tracks through the dust in the recesses under the covers. All my cover bolts run into "helicoils" in the f/glass, but even they may not go the distance if I have to remove them every time I wash the car !

Any ideas ??

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

Peter,

Paint a 1" strip around the inside edge of the cover with

black paint. That will cover any caulk or weatherstrip. Look

at the photos of the cars above, for reference. Looks

pretty good and is quite functional.

Bill

My car has a thin gasket around the opening as well. When I painted my light recesses I used the inside edge of it as my "taping point." It made it nice as the black gasket hid any small errors in taping.

I put a small dab of silicone on the end of each of the screws when I replaced them in the covers. In the past I've had some vibrate loose over time, so this seemed a great time to address that issue.

[ QUOTE ]

Paint a 1" strip around the inside edge of the cover with black paint. That will cover any caulk or weatherstrip.

[/ QUOTE ]

Some people used the body color paint instead of black paint for the 1" strip. In either case, the 1" strip nicely hides what ever you use to seal the covers.

The same technique can also be used for the rear window and the doors.

Hi Mark
I just saw the frontal pic of your beast.
I am intigued by the "spoiler" running across underneath.
Do you have a ny other pics/details you care to share.
Regards Des

Back