Painting steel and fiberglass

All,
I have seen the GOX kit offers a steel center body section. Is there any difficulties with paint finish since part of the car is steel and part fiberglass? What is the difference in the preparation of the two?

Thank you
Jim

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Jim,

Different primers for the materials: an etching primer for the metal and a primer compatible with the resin used in the composite body work. Good idea to have the primers and the paints all of the same brand for cross compatibility if this is to be a DIY job, but a good paint shop will know how to handle this.

Lynn

Lynn,
I would probably be better off having it professionally done but I really enjoy doing things myself. I am working to many hours to do things now but I am hoping to start soon and want to learn as much as I can. Great to avoid the pitfalls I can because I am sure I will mess up enough even though I have the right information from people with experience.

Thank you
Jim

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Jim,

There is a Car Quest store here in Raleigh that does nothing but handle paints and finishes. The guy who runs the store is VERY helpful and was more than willing to act as a consultant. If you can find a similar supply shop and get to know them, it could come in very handy. Even using products from the same manufacturer is no sure thing where compatibility is concerned and someone with hands on knowledge/experience will be invaluable, especially with the arcane science going on with modern car finishes! (I know just enough to be dangerous :)

Lynn

If you can find PPG DP40 I think you will have good results on both the steel( after etching) and the fiberglass. It is an epoxy and is designed to stick to both. It also works on bare aluminum after chemical etching. you can come back over it with PPG K36 or K38 as a filling primer. Be sure to follow the mixing of the primer and catalyst directions to the tee as to much or to little can cuase the mix to not ''kick'' also make sure when using any 2 part paint or primer to keep the temperature at 55 degrees or higher for at least 6 hours so that the catalyst can work. I believe in picking a paint system and using that systems products from start to finish to avoid problems with incompatability.

Back