Pics - David Piper's races at Zwartkops, Pretoria.

Re: Pics - David Piper\'s races at Zwartkops, Pretoria.

Hello Pierre

At the risk of being considered the anorak of the forum, I'm 100% sure that your history photo is from the 1969 Kyalami 9hrs.

It's slightly difficult to make out the cars, but here goes:

The red Lola just out of shot is the Mike de Udy/Frank Gardner Lola Chevrolet T70 MK3B (2nd place). The green number 3 behind it is the Peter Gethin/Mike Hailwood Mirage M1 Ford of Malcolm Guthrie Racing (DNF). Just ahead of that is the Brian Redman/John Love Lola T70 MK3B in the Sidney Taylor Racing colours of white/green (DNF), and ahead of that is the David Piper/Richard Attwood Porsche 917 (the eventual winner).

The car nearest the camera behind the Mirage is the Koch/Dechant Porsche 908 (3rd place). Next to that, the white open car is the 'Walls' sponsored Lola T70 MKI (this car was mentioned in another thread by Andre) driven by local drivers Doug Serrurier and Jackie Pretorious (DNF). This car actually had painted on the back in large letters "STOP ME AND BUY ONE"!. I have some images of it somewhere. I think for some reason that this and the Walker/Widdows Ferrari were both numbered '4'

Next to the 'Walls' car is the Kauhsen/Schultze Porsche 908/02 (8th place) and the yellow car next to that is the Jo Bonnier/Reine Wisell Lola T70 Mk.3B (DNF).

And that's the lot - hope it's useful. And yes, I need to get out more, but this is the sort of stuff I write articles on, and it supplements the income.

Cheers.

Rob

Attachments

• 32176-kyalami.jpg
    32176-kyalami.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 340

Dammit! Sorry about the links not working fellas, I'll try and upload from my pc.

Gary Bailey's GT40 -

Attachments

• 32191-Picture 224.jpg
    32191-Picture 224.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 315

Attachments

• 32192-Picture 225.jpg
    32192-Picture 225.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 322

The Gulf replica -

Attachments

• 32194-Picture 500.jpg
    32194-Picture 500.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 318

Attachments

• 32195-Picture 498.jpg
    32195-Picture 498.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 316

Hmmmmm... I can see this tread's gonna me impossible for folks with 56k.

So I'll just single out the best and post 'em in seperate threads.

Hi Pierre,
Welcome to the forum. This Gulf Replica belongs to John Botha and is for sale at 200k plus Rand (don't know exact price). It has "coil over" suspension designed by John which is very similar to the original suspension.If fact was in this car last Friday. It goes very well.Anybody interested in purchasing pls contact me.
cheers
Dave

Back