Ride in a GT-40 in Morro Bay Ca. 1973

When I got out of the AirForce in 1970 I was an aircraft mechanic, and although I had a A&P License, this was aperiod of recession and Iwas soon out of a job. I realized I needed to go back to school. I ended up at Cal Poly in San Luis Obispo Ca. in the Industrial Technology Dept. I meet a fellow there, may be slightly older than I was , as I remember I think he owned a Speed Shop or Automotive business in the Bay Area , At the time I was also building a spec house in Morro Bay , it was a pole house construction with a fantastic view , I had two partners and it was our first endevore. I had mentioned this to this guy , and one Saturday I was there by myself , and this very loud and cool GT-40 drove up the hill . It was my friend , and he was very interested in the house . After looking around the house, still in framing he asked about trading the GT-40 for the house , but it was not something I could commit to since I was only 1/3rd of the partnership. And we were pretty sure we could make up to $150,000 for this house "WHOA !!". So , he asked if I wanted to take a ride ,,,,,,,,,, sure why not , we drove up the coast I think all the way to Ragged Point .......... a load and very rough ride , in a White GT-40 with blue strips and a black meat ball on the side as I remember it also the strapped seats with metal grommets. I wish I rememberd more about this but at the time it seemed the Spec House Project was so much more important ............. I dont think there were any kit or replicas of the Gt-40 at that time so I assume it was the real deal . Does this ring a bell with any one on the web site here ???. Since then I have become an enthusiast , I have 2012 Boss 302 and spend time at Willow Springs and Laguna Seca Track Sessions which I enjoy a lot I do all the mods to my car , RST cluch to Whiteline Watts Link .............. don't think a GT is in my future but its a experience that has stayed with me. Zale Schuter

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Very interesting story Zale. Sorry I can’t help you out I’d-ing the car.
Thanks for posting it.
Regards Brian

Back