So where is Superperformance?

First off I still say they won't build it but if per chance by some stroke of economic luck they do then I bet $200 dollars to the Shelby Childrens heart fund that it won't be less than $50,000. They have a neat little car called the Noble M12. Now that car is well over $50,000. Are you telling me that a GT40 is worth less? Come on guys, If it sounds to good to be true then it probably is. I truly hope it does happen. It means good things for all those holding out for a Monocoque GT at a bargain price. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hersh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
JP

If you are referring to the David Brown in NZ, as far as I am aware, he would not be in a position to handle the kind of volumes that Superperformance would need.

Martin

[/ QUOTE ]

You got me wrong. I mean David Brown is already producing monos, NOT for Superperformance.

So Superperformance are a little too late.

Also, I presume Superperformance will be making the new Noble?? Production capacity etc.??

With regard to Superperformance not giving any press release etc. about the the mono. IGNORANNCE! They must be too busy making other cars, or they just think we'll buy them any way when they are ready.

Regards,

J.P

The Superformance car is still on-line and will be released when READY and not before. Knowing Jimmy Price, the result will be of the highest standard or it will go in the skip. I was showing the under-bonnet details of the Superformance 'Daytona' coupe to a (sceptical) major London car dealer yesterday and to say he was impressed is putting it mildly. Once people study the work that is produced in South Africa, they are converted. Like me.
Deliveries of the GT are scheduled during 2005. The shift in the rand/dollar has forced a re-think in many areas, including closing the Cape Town factory but matters are still progressing. Also, bearing in mind the fact that the car will be a true clone (in the manner of a Kirkham 'Cobra') and the new set of regs published by the FIA regarding the construction of what will be considered an 'historic' race car, figure the rest for yourself.......

Words are cheap. This $50K claim was made a long time ago yet they are still making "when it is ready" statements. If they are that far from being able to make an open announcement about their final product now, then how could they have been even close to costing the production needs, let alone make such bold claims about final price. Price is the LAST thing that is calculated, not the first! Even large organizations such as Ford would not dream of costing their GT before the first test mule was built and market research completed.

I have no stake in this given that I already have the car of my dreams, but I would tread very carefully. Hearing broad statements being made with little if any detail behind it, always makes me a little uneasy. Suffice to say that I’ve been around long enough to recognize the difference between a throw-away sales pitch and a statement of fact.

Forgive my lack of knowledge on the subject re this odd '$50K' claim, but to the best of my knowledge, this did not come directly from Jimmy Price or any authorised director of HiTech Automotive, therefore it must surely be disregarded. As has been correctly noted, the price of the car is one of the last thing to be established and any speculation prior to launch is exactly that - speculation. Jimmy Price is a businessman and a realist. He will never be drawn into internet gossip as he far more important things to occupy his time. The long gestation of the Coupe proves his determination to get things right - if Peter Brock was not involved, the whole project would have been scrapped and had the right profile tyres not been developed (to fill the wheelarches correctly) the car would not have been built. Price builds the cars he WANTS to build, not HAS to build - his profits are sourced elsewhere and it is doubtful that the development costs of the Coupe will ever be recouped (bad pun sorry). Likewise the GT40. If any 'quotes' re costs or specification have not been made directly, or fully authorised, by Jimmy, I for one will ignore them. When the car is ready, I'm sure the prices will be announced.
Just my thoughts based on past experience and conversations with Mr. Price. I am happy to be quoted that I consider him one of the most decent and honourable people I have encountered during my Cobra-related research, so if the above statements sound biased, they are. But that's my opinion, for what its worth.

If I rememer correctly the $50,000 quote came from Andre - not Jimmy Price. I believe that ERA is selling there basic unbuilt unit for about $60,000 and you have lots of work and many bits to buy after that. So why would Super Performance put something that was of high Quality and already finiished - minus the engine/tranny for less than that? Also be careful when trying to estimate pricing on products exported from South Africa. A few years back the SA Gov't was giving incentives to exporting business's. I believe they had a system of exchange rates that was favorable to people who were in the export business. As Super Performance probably exports the lions share of its production to the USA or the UK they might have there profits enhanced from these types of support - anybody out there who knows anything? Bob? Andre?

Talked to them at Monterey

I am waiting on the Superformance to come out as well. I was in Monterey for the Historic races and talked to them about the GT40. They told me that they had 17 orders and that I could sign up and put a deposit down. 2005 was going to be the date they started delivering them. They had no price though for me. I gave them my name and all other information. I told them I was wanting a 1075 car and told me to be patient that they are coming.

[ QUOTE ]
Jimmy Price is a businessman and a realist. He will never be drawn into internet gossip as he far more important things to occupy his time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry to be blunt. But he must be really thick if he thinks that this forum is just full of internet GT40 dreamers. I'm sure many on this forum could quite easily buy one at the drop of a hat.

In business you treat every customer equally. The customer is "king" in any business. As soon as you start treating potential customers like crap they quickly go elsewhere - regardless of how good the product is.

So with regard to Jimmy Price:

1)If indeed his product is so good why won't he provide the many potential customers with more detail that they are asking for from this forum?

2)If he or his representitives are worried about gossip why not issue a statement?

3)How can he be taking deposits if there is no final price?

4)So?

Lets have some answers to the questions.

I'm sure he reads this forum, or those that know him well.

We await, eagerly to hear from you.

Regards,

J.P

HI JP

With respect you can be as blunt as you wish but I am sure of two things. Jimmy Price knows his business well enough not to be bullied into saying anything if he does not wish to and - he may be many things, but "thick" he ain't...

I know what my reaction would be as well.

Just my two cents......I still stand by my last posting but maybe it needs re-reading.

Trevor,

My point is that the fundimental success of any business is to ensure your customers, or potential customers, are happy.

Clearly in this case, those who want more information about Jimmy's product are in essence having the door closed in their face.

Those are the facts.

It would be nice for a change to have some facts and figures.

Regards,

J.P

Re: Talked to them at Monterey

[ QUOTE ]
They told me that they had 17 orders and that I could sign up and put a deposit down.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hmmmmm. Sounds like all the risk is in your court. See if you can equally reverse the stakes by getting a detailed signed commitment from the person who made the comment. Depending on how many "Ummms" and "Ahhhs" you get, you will very quickly get a feel for how genuine they are.

[ QUOTE ]
Jimmy Price is a businessman .... and it is doubtful that the development costs of the Coupe will ever be recouped

[/ QUOTE ]
Two (very) conflicting comments.

These are just my observations and the above quotes do not belong to Mr Price so I am not making any character judgments about him. However, I think the observations are worth considering when trying to sort the pepper from the fly-poo. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Re: Talked to them at Monterey

Hey Andre,
Looks like someone is calling your bluff....

(Quote from Andre 40)
Spoke to Jimmy Price this morning and he's asked me to make the following announcement:
The retail price for the new GT40 M11 will be about
$50000 less engine and gearbox and the Superformance Coupe about $60000 less engine and gearbox.:

Andre 40

Hersh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Trevor, i think this is the car you are refering to

Attachments

• 43304-PHOTO_054.jpg
    43304-PHOTO_054.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 240
A neighbor has a Superformance Cobra that is just beautiful. The detail, the quality of the paint job was excellent. How they could do a 40 for 50 has got me scratching my head.

Any FF Cobra guys able to comment on driveability of the Super as compared to the FF Cobra?

good morning,

the beneficiaries from the government for south-african built cars to be exported have been reduced by 50% since last year.

I estimate the kick-back from the government from USD 2500 to USD 3500 per car, depending on model and local content (of locally made parts, and labour?)

not really the big advantage we are looking for, especially today since the exchange rate has gotten worse and worse.

to compare local labour cost:
I just paid R140 per hour in a muffler / tire shop to have my Golf fixed.
that's about USD21,00 - and they were efficient!

I consider Jim Price's shop very efficient in contrary to the rest of south-africa, which I rate at 30% - especially in cape town.

I spoke to Marlene (Jimmy's right hand) at Hi-Tech recently to hear more about the GT40 programme and she confirmed that cape town has been closed down and everything moved to port elizabeth - to continue production.

dominik, cape town

and why did I not get notification of replies?

Hi Fred
Re The Superformance Coupe....

That is certainly the car I was talking about! The first orders have been taken in the UK and the first car has been delivered - with excellent feedback. Strangely, a few people seem to knock the car, but they are the ones who have never seen, driven or studied the car. It was designed to be a relatively uncomplicated 'modern' car that offers a 'period' feel to drive. This has been confirmed by the first owner (who should know) and that, plus the amazing performance, is the essential appeal - assuming thats the sort of thing you like!!!

The word on the pricing of the GT40, direct from someone who should know (to put it mildly) is that NO final prices have yet been quoted...BUT it was always Jimmy's intention to TRY to bring it to the market at a figure in the close proximity of $50,000. Whether that is still possible is hard to say. It was also hoped to sell it in the UK at £50,000 when transport, VAT and import duties are paid.

Back