Superlite GTA

The big outstanding question i have is the AC. Heating doesnt appear to be an issue as the radiator will be front mount. now that the engine is in the rear, what about ac components. pain to run tubing from rear to front.

Will have a standalone ecu and harness for the new motor. Electric compressor could be an option, but pricey.

I'd just make custom hoses or tubing and run them right along the same path as the radiator and heater hoses. Looks like plenty of room down the tunnel for everything looking at a previous pic of the donor

I'm not planning on having AC...save the weight, room, and hassle. But I live in soCAl...the weather is one of the only benefits of being in this state. I realize one of the appeals of this kit is the ability to cleanly have AC but for me its just not needed. I'm probably also going to be putting a touchscreen and gauges around where the AC controls currently are in OEM dash. I don't like the low placement otherwise.

the tunnel has a secondary bolt on metal plate. its one piece front to rear. its about 8 inches at the widest point. plenty of room for radiator tubes and ac tubes. the original brake and fuel lines mount under the passenger side.

i lived in orange county for 30 years. would die without ac and heat :)

looking at the existing wiring harnesses, i think it would be easier to use a 10 circuit kit and run all new wires.

Not planning on using Isis? To me it seems to make life a lot easier. I've "budgeted" for it. Any thoughts on whether its worth it?

Absolutely. I didnt want to suggest any particular brand. That is exactly what i'm have budgeted for as well. Was thinking the existing may be salvageable but after getting into it, I'd say isis is easier.

For someone on a budget, the existing is manageable. As a test, i had the battery connected to the harnesses once off the car and was able to get lights, turn signals, wipers etc all working without any problem or spending too much time. I simply prefer to remove any unnecessary wiring, parts or accessories not required.

I have basically removed everything removable inside and out and have a better idea of what my particular end goal should look like.

Any update on this? how many APEX were sold? Fran was offering a pretty sweet deal for the first 10 I believe. Please keep this thread alive. I have not given up on this project yet, I still have a fully built 4g63 long block with about 8k$ in it waiting in my garage.

Not sure but I think some of you have been waiting for this for quite some time :thumbsup:
10355858_915101585186792_4080710270057218262_n.jpg

11037626_915101575186793_4104235070327140298_n.jpg

10999517_915101591853458_1683061497252173243_n.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Superlite-Cars/187464421283849

Wow. Wasn't expecting that when I logged in. So is this your's or were you just in da hood? Either way tell us a little more about it. edit: Didn't see this was on the facebook page.

This subframe must have changed pretty significantly unless I'm recalling incorrectly or looking at this wrong, the subframe was dropped onto the engine/trans and now its dropped into the subframe? Interested to see how this affects pulling the engine later. Maybe the body is removable, didn't think it was previously.

So do this mean photos/build will continue to be updated or three more photos to carry us suckers along another couple months? Either way THANKS for posting!! Keep em coming!!

Ok Well thats different! Is this still a no weld kit? I remember something along those lines in the beginning of this thread but a lot has changed from then.. Basically can someone still order this kit and put it together at there garage? By the way in my case, welding in the support frames wouldn't be a issue on my end.

he Apex is still a bolt together chassis package..

The lower subframe is removable from the bottom , this removable cradle also carries the suspension and transaxle..

We had the first V8 customers package ready to ship, but after careful consideration ( and the fact he is going with 600hp) we are installing more of a roll cage towards the front of the car , this is using our roll formed 1 1/2" dom tubing to mimic the roof curvature.

Is this rollbar you are adding going to be with the rest of the V8 kits as well? Is it inside or just strengthening part of the subframe? Edit: I see that you said along the roof curvature.

Looking at the front subframe in the pics, it looks very..minimal. maybe this is a good thing. Seems like front sway might be an issue when driven hard?

The lower subframe is removable from the bottom , this removable cradle also carries the suspension and transaxle.

Awe I see how the 4 "brackets" would work to drop that section of the subframe. Curious what other cars you see this type of setup in?

Last edited:
The front structure is very robust
Using oem eclipse mounting points to the chassis
The bracketry is all 3/16 and the tubing is 1 1/2 dom

No the front hoop is not part of the v8 kit

The breakaway system is very similar to one used in rollcage construction that is MSA/SCCA certified. More common in Europe for bolt in roll cage applications.

Most subframe or K members are held in with 4 or 6 bolts...we have 32 grade 8 bolts and 3/16 brackets across the board.

Last edited:
That's reassuring...would hate to walk away from a California pothole like this

a-view-to-kill-bond-drives-a-half-car_528_poster.png

So when placing an order for an Apex what are the must knows. Engine, trans, bank account number? Anything else?

Also since I know you're experienced with shipping the SLC's to California, but this is a slighly different package, what will this likely run for the Apex? Is this handled by you or us?

I can guarantee you we have larger potholes and some of the worst roads in the country here in Michigan....jeez its terrible.

We are supplying the V8 engine mounts in situ for LS series engines only...we can assist with the trans mounts if its something we have experience with otherwise its a "customer mod."

The shipping is by freight carrier and we build a large pallet that accommodates the body and chassis structure.

The cost for transport is the customers responsibility...it all depends upon commercial or residential address and if there's a need for a lift gate or not.

Ahhh... That's why Fran is building the Mojave and Moab. You don't even need to go off-roading in Detroit to stroke out all 18"+ of wheel travel for those trucks.

Ok. Back on topic.

For cross over of parts and suspension tech Fran has already perfected, I do NOT think so Justin. He needed to make the car "make sense" from a production stand point and still function at a high level. So stick with what you do well and know.

Excuse me if I have misspoken as I'm not rereading the 110 pages and will be building a traditional build from SLC anyhow so just casually following this thread.

Back