Suspension design

is this the weakest link in the SLC's suspension design?
Doesn't look as beefy as the rest of the arms.

Attachments

• 20200904_230527.jpg
    20200904_230527.jpg
    234.3 KB · Views: 439
In my humble opinion they look meaty enough provided the alloy is of the correct spec. Me I would be asking why the extra length on the bolts was not cut back to within 2 or 3 threads.
Cheers

It's got heims at all three corners of the to A arm. You'd have to do a lot of simulations to see which are more loaded in what circumstances. As long as they replaced before badly warned (with Quality 4340 ones), I would never expect a problem with them. We run aluminum suspension heim's on race cars half the SLC's weight - I've never seen one break outside of significant contact with a hard object.

Me I would be asking why the extra length on the bolts was not cut back to within 2 or 3 threads.

LOL. I'm lazy and just ordered the right length from Aircraft Spruce....

Neil

Supporter
FRank, aluminum spherical rod end bearings are specifically forbidden in some sanctioning bodies because of potential fatigue failures.

FRank, aluminum spherical rod end bearings are specifically forbidden in some sanctioning bodies because of potential fatigue failures.
That’s appropriate. We typically trash bars with aluminum rod ends 1-3 times a season. If there is any sign of damage the rod ends get replaced. Those that make it through that typically get a bit loose after about 20 race nights. That’s probably about 10 hours at speed.

Asphalt guys can do that many hours in less than 2 weekends.

The upper link doesn't experience nearly the load/stress that the lower link does. Provided the equipment is maintained, your pic does not show a weak point.

Back