Vin plate

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
The original Thermomatic fans were made in 1962 in Ashford.

Here is Motorshow brochure / Graces Guide which illustrates a 1964 Kenlowe advert for the Thermomatic fan.
Address states "Near" Maidenhead which is as printed on the early motor label and the Bristol car.

746px-Im196210MotSC-Kenlowe.jpg

Below is the same Motorshow brochure publication but for 1967 (and onwards).
Address is plain Maidenhead which is shown on later fan motor labels.

Note the Ford GT40 and Bristol 408 cars are mentioned in this ad below.

709px-Im196610MotSC-Kenlowe.jpg

The original Thermomatic fans were made in 1962 in Ashford.

Here is Motorshow brochure / Graces Guide which illustrates a 1964 Kenlowe advert for the Thermomatic fan.
Address states "Near" Maidenhead which is as printed on the early motor label and the Bristol car.

Note the Ford GT40 and Bristol 408 cars are mentioned in this ad below.

View attachment 139664

What is a Vickers Hovertruck? as is mentioned in the last paragraph of the article?

To avoid thread drift, I have started another thread for the Hover Truck

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
The 1963 Vickers Hover Rover has a Kenlowe Fan on the cooling circuit and it looks like the label reads "Near" Maidenhead.
It appears to be more of the motor shown rather than the fan, but I doubt that it is doing much good by the size of the fins on that coil.
This photo also shows what appears a perfect round lead inspector's seal on the right hole in the plate similar to the squashed one on P/1028.
Vickers would do this as standard procedure but would FAV ? or maybe it's just a tag denoting a change of voltage because they are using a few more fans than shown.

Kenlowe Fan Hover Rover.jpeg

Last edited:

Pedro

Supporter
Found a Kenlowe plate in one of my boxes of junk I didn’t know I had, yet another version.

Attachments

• 20240614_114309.jpg
    20240614_114309.jpg
    605.9 KB · Views: 26

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Found a Kenlowe plate in one of my boxes of junk I didn’t know I had, yet another version.
The town of Slough moved from Buckinghamshire into Berkshire in 1974.
Thus the plot thickens :)
So the Windsor Road address was used in 1961. (advert)

page-000068.jpeg

The fan shown appears to be a lightweight running at 4.5 Amps with the shorter casing and an Otter switch for control.

Last edited:
Back