Vintage Air Controls

Michael Fling

Supporter
FYI...

I have been looking for a different solution for AC/heater controls. I spoke with Wayne Potter at Vintage Air. He said the the unit for the SLC is a unit specific to the SLC and that the 491200 RUA will work with our unit. It is very nice looking and can be in chrome or black. I purchased it and while I have not connected it yet, it does appear it will work...

Knob 1 & 2- replaces the 2 knobs in the plastic housing.
Knob 3- for ECV
knob 4- Thermostat
* There will need to be an extra control knob if you are using a gate to open/close the defroster

IMG_6646.jpg

IMG_6645.jpg

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
The only knob you will actually use fully is #1. With the SLC system, knob #2 is on/off for the a/c and does nothing in the other two positions. Knob 3 controls the heater valve IF you are using the supplied non-bypass valve from Vintage Air. If you are using a bypass valve with a LS engine, you use the knob that came with the valve. Knob #4 you set once to be as cold as possible without freezing up and leave it alone. I designed my own panel and ordered from Front Panel Express for less than the cost of the VA panel. Knobs are from McMaster.

The only knob you will actually use fully is #1. With the SLC system, knob #2 is on/off for the a/c and does nothing in the other two positions. Knob 3 controls the heater valve IF you are using the supplied non-bypass valve from Vintage Air. If you are using a bypass valve with a LS engine, you use the knob that came with the valve. Knob #4 you set once to be as cold as possible without freezing up and leave it alone. I designed my own panel and ordered from Front Panel Express for less than the cost of the VA panel. Knobs are from McMaster.

Thanks for posting up that "front panel express" name. Checked out their site, didn't realize an online ordering place like that existed. Going into the internet rolodex!

Michael Fling

Supporter
Knob utilization is described in my post as per the Vintage Air rep. Simply wire the ECV to #3 and replace the thermostat control from the SLC with the one on the new controller.

Michael Fling

Supporter
Got the existing components fitted to the new control knobs. The ECV was adapted to position 3 and the thermostat that was already in the Vintage Air was adapted into position 4.

IMG_6658.jpg

It will be mounted into a fiberglass piece I am going to fabricate to fit between the dash and the shift surround...

IMG_6659.jpg

Dr. David

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Michael,
I have this exact billet Vintage Air control module in the dash of my "66 Nova SS Resto-mod, and it works great! I also have the older plastic slider-knobs in my Cobra Daytona Coupe and I would definitely recommend the billet unit you are using. Without a doubt, both appearance and function are a step up from the older model.
Just my opinion,
David

Back