Vinyl Graphics Application

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
I need to apply my sill stripes that I got from John Schneider and got to thinking that I really wasn't sure how to do it. John gave me great instructions on how to do it. Thanks, John!

I am posting a link that has some very good instructions that go right along with what John told me. The one difference is that these tell you to use windex or similar glass cleaning fluid. I think in general water in a 32 oz. spray bottle with just a few drops of soap is a little safer. The best thing to do is to consult with the supplier of your vinyl graphics and get their recommendation for a wetting solution. Not all vinyl graphics are the same!!

Here is the link:
Vinyl Graphics Application Instructions

Lynn

Lynn,

Stick to the Windex, as it will evaporate completely.

Soap and water will leave a residue (dirty surface),

which defeats the adhesion process, and isn't as "user

friendly" as Windex. Don't be shy with the Windex! It will

evaporate from under the vinyl after only a few minutes.

Once an area dries, it will no longer be "adjustable".

If, for some reason, you have to remove an area of the

vinyl, or get a wrinkle, hit the area with Windex again(a

lot). That will extend your "working time".

Don't be shy with the tape either! At times, the vinyl

may be reluctant to separate from the paper backing. A bit

too much pull in the middle of a graphic, and the tape

will pull from the surface of the car. As you can imagine,

that ain't pretty! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif For your sill stripes, use 2

runs of 2" blue masking tape (one above the other,

overlapping).

Also, when pulling the top layer of paper free (SLOWLY!),

DO NOT pull away from the surface, but along it (parallel

to the surface).

Work bubbles outward to the edges, but don't panic if you

can't get a bubble out. Just hit it with a needle and a

hair dryer, and it will disappear.

Don't be scared! God hates a coward! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Good Luck!

Bill

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Bill,

I did the first one dry. Certainly not cowardly, but not prudent either. Of course, I used the testosterone approach: when all else fails, read the instructions :) I did get one pesky wrinkle that could only be dealth with with a razor blade. (I may actually get another one from John even though it is invisible from 10 feet.)

The comment on checking with your graphic provider actually came from one of the several websites I visited. According to it, there are several types of vinyl which could have one of several types of adhesive. While one would have a very good chance that your recommendations (and those at the website pointed to by the provided link) would work great, it is still not a bad idea to check with the supplier; albeit, against everything manly!

I had used the hinge method of attaching the transfer to the car, BUT I had put a strip of 1" tape across the top of the sill as a placement line and used this edge as a go-by when I taped the stripes to the car. This was probably not a good idea even when using a wetting agent as it limits the upward travel when moving things around.

The 1 1/2" regular masking tape that was the hinge held well even when pulling the stripes dry to adjust them. My wife, who was helping me, actually tore the backing between the F-O-R-D letters without budging the hinge tape. Since the stripes were longer than necessary, I had practiced placing some of the leftovers on my garbage can and quickly learned to pull the backing off at little to no angle to the surface.

Lynn

Lynn,

Glad to hear that your efforts were a success! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Who's going to notice? They'll all be too smitten! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Your car looked great without stripes!

How about a photo with?

After your paint shop problem, I can't believe that you

got within a mile of your car with a razor blade in

hand! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Weren't you just a little bit nervous? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Bill

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Pucker Factor (on a scale of 1 to 10): about 12

I kept telling myself that this is not a show car. It is a car that is meant to be driven!

Lynn

Back