What do I do 1st?

Howard Jones

Supporter
Steve take the time to talk to others. Allan is a good source of info on street builds but there are a lot of really nice cars on here. Seek them out and get others opinions. Most of what I know is directly related to open track event driving and I have really no experience with a street version.

If I do have some advice it is to build your car so that it can be reliable for what you intend to do with it. Don't put a 20K$ paint job on a car you may use on track for instance. 125mph bits of asphalt will ruin in in one weekend. Don't put 800 hp into a car that really is intended to be a streetcar as far as wheel bearings for instance and then take it to the track.

On the other hand, if you want to tour with it at mostly legal highway speeds then 450HP is plenty, but it needs a really good AC system and great cabin comforts such as great seats and sound deadening.

Don't buy things you don't need yet. You may find out that it's not the right one given new information or better yet new choices. Get on with the main assembly and body fit stuff for now. That's not really the fun stuff anyway and I think it's best to get it out of the way up front.

So have fun, get started and get into the habit of doing something nearly every day.

Steve take the time to talk to others. Allan is a good source of info on street builds but there are a lot of really nice cars on here. Seek them out and get others opinions. Most of what I know is directly related to open track event driving and I have really no experience with a street version.

If I do have some advice it is to build your car so that it can be reliable for what you intend to do with it. Don't put a 20K$ paint job on a car you may use on track for instance. 125mph bits of asphalt will ruin in in one weekend. Don't put 800 hp into a car that really is intended to be a streetcar as far as wheel bearings for instance and then take it to the track.

On the other hand, if you want to tour with it at mostly legal highway speeds then 450HP is plenty, but it needs a really good AC system and great cabin comforts such as great seats and sound deadening.

Don't buy things you don't need yet. You may find out that it's not the right one given new information or better yet new choices. Get on with the main assembly and body fit stuff for now. That's not really the fun stuff anyway and I think it's best to get it out of the way up front.

So have fun, get started and get into the habit of doing something nearly every day.
Thank you! I've visited Allan 3 times and have been speaking to Joel alot! I've been reading the build logs and studying everything. You gave me some sound advice. I want more of a street car than anything. I have my engine and a Ricardo trans. I'm not a track guy. I want a nice car with manners and power if I want it. I think we'll be at about 550hp. More than I need. I'm wrapping up my FF Daytona now and really looking forward to starting my SLC. I usually work on the cars about an hour every night.

Back