BigB's RCR MKIV

BigB98

CURRENTLY BANNED
I notice you have a Porsce 930 Transaxle as I have. How are you going to couple the transaxle to the drive wheels? Are you going to use CV joints on each end of the drive axles, or CV joints on the inner and U-joints on the outer.

I have a CV-Ujoint combination on the drive shafts and many members have advised me that this is a source of harmonic vibration!

I have Corvette drive hubs which use Ujoints

John
:stunned::stunned:

I believe the inner/outers are CV units.

Everyone, I'm thinking the engine should be plenty....We'll see just how good Porsche 930 transaxles are. :stunned:

Man, sorry for missing so much of the build the last couple of months! Ya have been busy on the car and its coming along nice, no, GREAT!!

But the last couple of months in Mexico, Calif. and Vegas was a must!:D

We'll get together when ya get back from Reno and I'll give ya a hand or two.

We will be polishing that engine right??:thumbsup:

Hope you guys are having fun at the WSCB

Larry M

BigB98

CURRENTLY BANNED
Finally had a little time to do some work on this thing. Got the radiator in place and test fit the engine/transaxle.

P10202611.JPG

P10202601.JPG

P1020263.JPG

P1020273.JPG

P1020272.JPG

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
BigB - Are you planning on using the stock water pump? Have you figured out the pulleys and firewall yet? Don't know if the MkIV shares the same engine bay dimensions as the Mk1 - but - While I'm just running a small block, I ended up moving my engine forward a good ways in order to get the tail end of my transaxle inside the body and to get the carbs forward enough to fit through the cut-out.
Had a few hoops to jump through in regard to the starter but managed to work them all out.
Your build is going to be another exciting one to watch..

BigB98

CURRENTLY BANNED
Cliff, they are Bluestreaks found here: GOODYEAR RACE TIRES

8.00-15262.00G-7 17581759 26.8 13.2/109.0 to 11.510.319.0

Randy, the tail section is longer than an Mk1, though I do plan to move the engine forward more. Trying to figure out just how much though. Any guidance there would be much appreciated. Haven't done any locating of alternator or AC pump...Figured I would set it in there and try to get to desired location and then make measurements to start fabricating the brackets.

BigB98

CURRENTLY BANNED
Making progress here and there. Have the engine and transaxle mounted, though they will be coming back out for other work. Working on making the side scoops that will lead into mocal oil coolers. Working on the expansion tank per originals. That was kind of fun using a slip roll to take a nice flat piece of aluminum and turn it into a 6" diameter tube. And made a turkey pan. Welding and aluminum work is FUN. :)
Here's some progress pics:
aluminum4.JPG

aluminum8.JPG

aluminum6.JPG

aluminum3.JPG

aluminum13.JPG

aluminum1.JPG

BigB98

CURRENTLY BANNED
Allen, I'm hoping I'll be ready by that time. Would be great to see you gain. I see in your signature that you have an RCR on the way too! Congrats!

Brent - That would be great to have down our way again. I think it would be awesome to have a couple of Fran Hall's pieces of art on display at the event.

Yep, i just placed my order :thumbsup: Thanks

BigB98

CURRENTLY BANNED
Did a quick startup yesterday!!! Oh my gawd!!!! Ok, there is something extremely sexy about an 600hp KeithCraft FE in a GT. The exhaust note is so different from the cobra with essentially the same engine. Man it is AWESOME!!!!

I started it for a little "added" motivation to get the sucker on the road. I've been making decent progress, but I could be further along by now. Hearing that engine....well....that got me excited! WOW! I'll try to get a youtube video of it this weekend.

By the way, the car is not near road worthy...I still have to pull the motor and build the alt/ac brackets and a bunch of wiring to finish....and a bunch of other stuff. :)

Last edited:
BigB98, if you're in Seattle sometime and want to see a basic old CAV then let me know - happy to show it to you. Or, take it for a drive, if you're needing a little on-the-road inspiration.

Cliff

BigB98

CURRENTLY BANNED
Cliff, I'm out in Duvall, so we're close. It wouldn't take much to convince me to take a ride with you in your "basic old CAV"! :D That kind of motivation is the best there is!

-Brent Mills

Last edited:
Hi Brent, sounds good. Yup, Duvall isn't that far. I'm around this weekend if you'd like to come by - shoot me a private message here and I'll reply with contact info. There are a couple of good guys in the area who are also gt40 gearheads - Neil in Issaquah and Tim in Arlington. We're going to have to do a WA State GT40 summer party next summer!

Hi Brent

Could you post some pics of your engine installed with the exhaust system ?
Also would be interessted in knowing your gear ratios ( gears and final ratio )
Would be great if you could post them as well.

Thanks

TOM

BigB98

CURRENTLY BANNED
Here you go, Tom.

gearing.JPG

trip_and_other_stuff_260.JPG

trip_and_other_stuff_258.JPG

trip_and_other_stuff_255.JPG

Just as a side note today, I started it without the mufflers! MUSIC! LOUD and BEAUTIFUL MUSIC!!!

Back