transaxles

G

Has anyone looked at the Corvette transaxle to see if it could be adapted to a GT40?

Ron Earp

Admin
No bellhousing or provision for clutch I'd imagine. The flywheel is on the engine, so the clutch ought to be up there too. I think this thing uses a torque tube so there would be a lot of fabrication.

Ron

Micheal, I bet it could be done, but it would most likely make a longer wheel base car. that would make for a lot of body work making the shape of the body look off. I would hate to do all that work & end up with a "stretch limo" looking GT40. Might be interesting to do though!
wink.gif

The tranny i beleive will take a Camaro bellhousing, bolting the tranny to the engine would not be too big an issue, the biggest pain would be how far back the diff sits, I have one and can measure if you want but it is quite a ways

Eric,
Could you post a photo? I am guessing that diff is mounted behind the gearset instead of in front as per most transaxles.

Thanks
Gary

I have nowhere to host a photo so i have emailed it to you if you would like to post it. The measurement from the diff output shafts to the end of the input shaft is about 31 inches, the output spline looks identical to what the clutch is. The only interesting part (besides making it fit) would be the shifter, that is it above the input shaft. If you want a better photo just ask.

The vette uses the Borg T56 as in the camaro, firebird, viper, and 03 cobra. I think all they do is remove the long tail shaft and hook the diff to it. Here is a picture of the tranny as it goes in the vette without the diff.

t56.jpg

It is an absolutely fabulous tranny, but it will never fit in a 40.

Know thy enemy.

Adam

[ February 03, 2003: Message edited by: Frankenstang ]

[ February 03, 2003: Message edited by: Frankenstang ]

This is an old thread but I thought I'd reply. I just returned from the local Corvette dismantler where I measured from mounting face at front of tranny to centreline of output yokes; 23 5/8" Great strength, great ratios but too long! Cheers, Dave

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Dave,

This or similar setups like the drive train in some of the water cooled Porsches would be killer in a front engine roadster car like a XK 120 Jag. I would think that the balance would make an already fun car into great handler.

Regards,
Lynn

Back