Stripes

I didn't know the subject could get so complex. All I want is two stripes down the middle /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The biggest question I have though is how to blend them with the nostrils. How did everyone here do their stripes, and are you totaly happy with the look?

PS. Pictures would be good too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Chris, what colors are the car and stripes? Mine will be white with blue stripes and I've seen three methods used around the nostrils: one where the stripes extend into the nostrils as viewed from above perpendicular to the front clip, another method where the stripes extend to the nostril cut out but not into the nostrils, and finally, a method where the interior of the nostrils is painted flat black.

I'll also be interested to see some pictures.

Mark,
The body will be a pearl/metalic silver (the colour is called aluminium silver) and the stripes will be a dark metalic grey (graphite). The stripes will almost appear as a dark shadow cast against the silver.

Chris,

I have a close friend with a body shop, and he does quite a bit of paint work for the vintage & SCCA crowd that runs at Lime Rock and elsewhere in the NE. He was crewing trans-am in the 60s and 70s and has been racing GT-1 for 25 years so he's seen a few old race cars.

The nose of my spec racer has two radiator nostrils that must be treated similarly. When it came time to paint the stripes (the car is Guardsman Blue with white stripes), he went with Mark's #2 option. He used fine-line tape to keep 1/4" of blue between the edge of the stripe and the radiator opening. He commented that not painting inside the perimeter of the nostrils (in the base color or in black) is more "old school" and is a better fit if you're trying to get a more vintage look.

Have fun.

Hi Chris,
Well, it's not complex! Look at my posted photos and you'll see how I did it.
I didn't bother going down with the blue colour in the nostril and I don't regret it. I think it looks great as it is. I'm totally happy with the result. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

zon_12.jpg

zon_1.jpg

I like the way the stripes turned out on my car (see website). The stripes go down into the nostril and below the front opening.

Back