Am i too tall?

Im around 6 foot 2 1/2, am I too tall for a GT40 replica? Is there a difference between the different manufacturers (thinking about space for my legs...) I have an Ultima Sports at the moment, I am very satisfied with it, but I do think that a GT40 is a lot prettier :) The Ultima is around 970 kilos, how much is a GT40??

If anyone know about a car that is for sale (in the higher quality bracket), price around 25K (pounds), please let me know

/Erik

hi there,

there are lots of tall guys with '40's. You need to find one somewhere local to you and try it for size. I've never sat in an Ultima but it's just possible you might find the '40 easier to get into.

Simon

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Try this posting on this site for comments re height.
http://www.gt40s.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB1&Number=37530&page=1&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

I am in the same position as you (6'3") and have not been able to get comfortable in a 40 ...... YET!

Our Club Chairman is about 6'5" and affter a lot of mods can get in easily.

So in answer yes it is possible to get into one - I think at your budget it may be easier than on mine

I have tried Tornado and GTD for size and IMHO I think the GTD offered more space

Good luck with your search

Ian

Hi Erik
Can't comment on others but I am around 6'1" and 120kg (yes I know mixed measurements) and DRB have been able to accomodate me.
Peter drops floor and pushes firewall fwd as required (obviously there are limits)
Hope this helps
Des

Hi Eric,

You'll probably find the GT40 is heavier than the Ultima, I reckon about 1100 KG on average.

I took a long hard look at Ultima before I bought a s/h GTD & I beleive the Ultima is a much better engineered product than the GTD, but as you say, The GT40 is much pretter!

The average for a GTD is nearer 1250kg. You need to look at ali uprights and lightweight body panels to reduce the weight to 1100kg. In fact you need light weight everything to really get the weight down to less than 1100kg.

Height. I'm 6ft and the MDA ( www.gt40uk.com ) is an easy fit.

Price you won't get a top end 40 for less than £35k.

Regards,

J.P

hi eric.
im 6'3" tall and quite broad( some may say fat /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif) and found the Roaring Forty to be a comfortable fit. this was with slightly thinned down seat padding. i had room to spare around the pedals and an just over an inch headroom.
id sugest giving rick chattel at thruxton sports cars a call on(01428) 664276.
hope this helps, jerry

Just an observation. Us guys with long legs and a short torso have an easer time fitting than guys that have short legs and a long torso with the same hight. The short skinny guys are the lucky ones. For fitting in a GT-40 that is. Joe

I'm 6'3" and have an RF40 and fit comfortably. Pedals are all the way forward and seat has a little less padding.

Also worth mentioning, I'm in the process of fitting a seat specifically for the race track. This seat will allow me to sit even lower so that my head can be below the roll-bar with a race helmet on.

An Ultima is a very fast and very good handling car, indeed. The only thing I do not like about it, is it's lack of rearview, but you get used to that. I see lots of people here are based around London (I live on the Isle of Dogs), are there any "monthly meetings" or ?? Would give me an opportunity to see some cars :)

/E

You are more than welcome to come along and look at my '40 if you like, I'm in upminster,Essex, about 10 miles from you.
It won't give you an idea of legroom though as I'm 5'10" and it'needs the extended pedal box for me (the builder was 5'6") but you can sit in it with your feet the other side of the pedals to see if it fits if you like.
Lots of GTD owners have the extended pedal box and I think some of them are well over 6ft.
Simon 07802 463848

I'm 6'4" plus and easily fit in my KVA after many mods. I've also tried Rick Chattels CAV and there is room in that - and he tells me there is even more room to be had by dropping the seat and moving the pedals forward.
You won't buy a CAV for your budget though, and I agree with JP - you will need £35k upwards to get a top quality second hand car ( i.e. well built and properly registered) of any make.
Come along to one of the club meetings in your area and meet some members. Most wil be only to willing to let you try their cars for size.
Look at the club website for more info on dates and times etc. www.gt40enthusiastsclub.com

You may find it easier to make a decision by joining a club. The GT40 enthusiasts club has a mix of cars with a mix of driver sizes. If you then attend their monthly meetings, you could get to sit in more GT40's than any other way.
Tony.

I am the same height as you and fairly 'bulky'.
When I bought my GTD last Autumn, I couldn't close the door without slicing the top of my head off and couldn't operate the brake pedal without pressing the throttle as well.
How I got the car to its present driveable state will be described in (boring) detail in the next edition of the GT40 Enthusiasts Club magazine 'Fortyfication'.
If you join the Club now by filling in the application form on the website, you will be in time to receive a copy.
Incidentally, all GT40s have marginal rear vision. It goes with the territory. Some people have even gone to the lengths of rear CCTV!

Back