Pictures and Commentary from Run & Gun 2007

Pete K.

GT40s Supporter
Run & Gun is an event at Gateway Raceway just outside of St. Louis, Missouri, USA, and is open to any and all home-built replicas and "kit cars." The event combines road course, autocross, and drag strip events over a three day period. The event is more-or-less a time trial event and not a pure racing event. Needless to say, the event is quite fun! 2007 is the second year that I've attended the event with my Cobra replica and while I am far, far from competitive I do find that I learn a LOT about my car and myself at the event.

There were two RCR GT40s at the event. The Leman's GT40 that has appeared here on this forum previously and Dean's GT40. A couple of pictures of the LeMans replica:

RG2007_00.jpg

RG2007_01.jpg

Before moving along to Dean's GT40, a couple of pictures of a Ferrari P4 replica. Great looking and running replica until it slid off-track backwards. The damage appeared to be body work only and the driver didn't appear to be injured at all.

RG2007_02.jpg

RG2007_03.jpg

RG2007_04.jpg

RG2007_05.jpg

Herschel was at R&G with his RF GT40. Herschel had a bit of bother with an exploding starter gear that punched a hole in his transaxle bell housing as well as shearing a bolt off between the flywheel and pressure plate. By the next day Herschel and friends had removed and rennovated the troublesome parts and got Herschel's GT40 back on the track.
RG2007_06.jpg

RG2007_07.jpg

RG2007_08.jpg

RG2007_09.jpg

RG2007_10.jpg

And on to Dean's RCR GT40. What a great looking and well executed replica! And it seems to run very, very well. I commented to Dean that I really enjoyed watching his GT40 come off the banked oval at speed and accelerate down the front strech of the track. Since I was watching from a position at the far end of the track by turn one I couldn't hear his car - but I could see it very clearly and frankly it looked like a slot car because it was so stable and so silent. As the car neared turn one I could begin to hear the car as Dean began to slow the car down for the turn. The brakes made no sound but brought the car down quickly and yet the car seemed to be traveling way too fast for the first corner. Still flat and tracking like a slot car the GT40 cut the first corner and then roared off toward the second turn. Beautiful and more of an art than anything else!
RG2007_11.jpg

RG2007_12.jpg

RG2007_13.jpg

RG2007_14.jpg

RG2007_15.jpg

There was only one thing that really marred my days at Run & Gun. I don't seem to fit into Dean's RCR GT40 and now I'm concerned that I'll have to undergo some sort of radical surgery in order to fit into a monocoupe version of Fran's RCR917!
RG2007_16.jpg

I'm sure Dean will give a more full report of his experiences with his RCR GT40 but from what I could see, Fran has got a winner with his GT40!

Last edited:
Pete ,

thanks for the great pics...and the compliments

That is a pretty Noble/NF P4 replicas...nice to see someone running one in the USA.

I spoke with Dean earlier today and he quoted you on the slot car/noise scenario...

I am anxious to see the Kit Car Mag photos as they are supposed to be spectacular of both the cars together in the setting Sun...

Ron Earp

Admin
Very nice cars fellows, congratulations again! Good to see pictures of the folks running the cars and nice to see Hershal out with his RF GT40. I'm sure Hershal's car is the most driven GT40 in North America, I think he has well over 75,000 miles on that car now! Very cool, put some more pictures up if you have them.

Ron

Back