Any tall SPF GT owners here?

charlie c

Lifetime Supporter
I just went down to Hillbank and had a good long sit in a Superformance GT MkI.

.... my knees hit the bottom of the dashboard.

.... my head was firmly ensconced in the upper portion of the Gurney bubble.

... my left foot had no place to go. (no surprise there...)

The SPF GT was MUCH tighter than I feared. So much so, that it would be almost undriveable for me, sitting like that. (I'm 6' 1" and 165lbs) Plenty of side-to-side room, but I felt like Clarkson on TopGear, with my head sticking half out! I have a Lotus Elise, and find it roomy enough, but I DO need the driver's seat all the way back in order to fit.

While I didn't get to speak to Lance, Justin told me that there was some adjustment available in terms of the seat height or position... although it was unclear if one had to specify seat position when the car was ordered, or if the seat could actually be removed to be worked on (can it?).

Have any of you gotten your SPF GT and successfully removed, adjusted, or otherwise fiddled with the seat to get a better position? Please describe....

:confused:

Last edited:

Steve C

Steve
GT40s Supporter
Charliie
At 5'8" I had the opposite problem...Olthoff was able to design in a removable upolstered wedge for behind mine and my wifes seat ( she is 5'1" )...so we are both happy but, if a tall friend comes aboard the passengers wedge is easily removed. My body trunk is long but, legs on short side so adjustable pedals took care of that.

For tall drivers I'm told the dealers can remove some of the seat bottom and that should easily take care of your 6'1" and unless all your height is in your legs dash clearance should be OK...I have a friend who is 6'4" and he fit except for knees just hitting dash but, felt that with lowered seat he would fit.

Steve P2125.

I found that the right hand drive GT40 felt more comfortable for foot room.
It was more like sitting in a regular left hand drive car.
If you don't mind right hand drive that might take care of your foot problems.

Kirby Schrader

They're mostly silver
Lifetime Supporter
I'm 6' 2" and I fit in my SPF MkII. Just. With no Gurney bubble (I don't like the look of the bubble, personally, plus, it seems to always be in the wrong place for my head!).

I should qualify that also by saying I have long legs and a fairly short torso.

The pedals have been moved forward as far a possible.
The pedals have been adjusted so their travel is minimum and yet still functional. For example, the clutch has just enough free play.

A lot of foam has been removed from the driver's seat; both on the back and the bottom.

The plate underneath the driver's seat (the one with the hole in it) has been beat down (literally) to get more head room. I plan to cut this and re-weld it at a steeper angle to make it look better, but it's low on my priority list at the moment.

Recommendation? Take the seat out and sit in the car. If you are OK with leg room, head room and steering wheel placement, then get a seat made which is thinner and still gives some cushion.

You can have a look at me sitting in it and driving it on my website below.

FWIW,
Kirby

I just went down to Hillbank and had a good long sit in a Superformance GT MkI.

.... my knees hit the bottom of the dashboard.

.... my head was firmly ensconced in the upper portion of the Gurney bubble.

... my left foot had no place to go. (no surprise there...)

The SPF GT was MUCH tighter than I feared. So much so, that it would be almost undriveable for me, sitting like that. (I'm 6' 1" and 165lbs) Plenty of side-to-side room, but I felt like Clarkson on TopGear, with my head sticking half out! I have a Lotus Elise, and find it roomy enough, but I DO need the driver's seat all the way back in order to fit.

While I didn't get to speak to Lance, Justin told me that there was some adjustment available in terms of the seat height or position... although it was unclear if one had to specify seat position when the car was ordered, or if the seat could actually be removed to be worked on (can it?).

Have any of you gotten your SPF GT and successfully removed, adjusted, or otherwise fiddled with the seat to get a better position? Please describe....

:confused:

Hi Charlie

I understand that the new SPF GTX1 will be available soon (open top)

regards

Chris.

charlie c

Lifetime Supporter
Chris - I didn't want to be the first to leak new product info, but since you've broken the ice, yes, it appears to be true.... I was told that....

... Superformance will offer cut-down GT40 doors that achieve a T-Top effect, and that there will also be a true spyder version, with no roof at all!

I'm not sure, but I think that the spyder roof must be specified at the time of order, but the doors can be retrofitted to existing SPFs.

I, also, prefer the look without the bubble, so you can imagine my dismay when I barely fit WITH the bubble.... I also like the idea of a GT40 spyder, but I have yet to see one that doesn't look like a sawzall job....

Kirby - Thanks for the pics. I have never seen the SPF seat without padding, so I can't picture what modifications I might be able to make. I have no problem at all with beating and bending the bottom plate, or having a custom seat made, provided the stock one can actually be removed. In SPFs literature, the phrase "seats - integral as original" has got me puzzled as to whether they actually come out or what.

If anybody has a pic of a disassembled or removed SPF seat, please post!

Charlie C, As the SPF GT40 is virtually identical to the original 40's so is the space available. The seat has been made so that it can be modified to provide more room and the pedal box, also very true to original, can also be moved forward. I am 6'2" and weigh 250 and can be comfortably accomodated. That said I doubt it would work for anyone much bigger. By the way, Mario Andretti had over 6" of headroom when he tried it in the UK recently.

charlie c

Lifetime Supporter
Hi-Tech - Don't worry, I will FIND a way to fit in the SPF! I KNOW it can be done! I'm fine with the tight space, as long as I can sink my butt about 2-3 inches, and, never having seen the seat disassembled, I'm still a little in the dark... I'm just trying to evaluate whether I NEED the bubble, which I would prefer not to have.

I know it's been said many times before, but the Superformance fit, finish, and quality are totally top-shelf. Amazing stuff.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
By the way, Mario Andretti had over 6" of headroom when he tried it in the UK recently.

Ahh, but Jimmy even I am taller than Mario! Of course I am somewhat thicker around the middle then he is but he may be slightly better shape than I am.

A correct GT40 spyder would be quite neat with the wrap-around windsreen like P108 and the GTX1 MK II.

Regards,
Rick

Kirby Schrader

They're mostly silver
Lifetime Supporter
Charlie,

The 'seats' are merely a molded piece of foam with covering glued to them.
Dennis Olthoff used an air sander to grind off some of the driver's seat. I used a box cutter to trim off more once I got the car home.

Taking the seat out is simply moving the seat belts to the side and lifting it out. There are no screws, no latches, no fittings of any kind.

It's a piece of foam sitting on the floor.
:)

I'll take some pictures tonight, if I remember to... and show you what I mean.

Regards,
Kirby

Chris - I didn't want to be the first to leak new product info, but since you've broken the ice, yes, it appears to be true.... I was told that....

... Superformance will offer cut-down GT40 doors that achieve a T-Top effect, and that there will also be a true spyder version, with no roof at all!

I'm not sure, but I think that the spyder roof must be specified at the time of order, but the doors can be retrofitted to existing SPFs.

I, also, prefer the look without the bubble, so you can imagine my dismay when I barely fit WITH the bubble.... I also like the idea of a GT40 spyder, but I have yet to see one that doesn't look like a sawzall job....

Kirby - Thanks for the pics. I have never seen the SPF seat without padding, so I can't picture what modifications I might be able to make. I have no problem at all with beating and bending the bottom plate, or having a custom seat made, provided the stock one can actually be removed. In SPFs literature, the phrase "seats - integral as original" has got me puzzled as to whether they actually come out or what.

If anybody has a pic of a disassembled or removed SPF seat, please post!

charlie c

Lifetime Supporter
Kirby - That's what I thought, actually.... I've seen pictures of the raw SPF tub, with the "integral" seats, and the plate with the big hole in it that forms the 'bottom' of the seat... I just didn't know if THAT assembly was removable somehow, or had to be beaten into shape while still installed in the car, in case modifying the foam seat bottom wasn't enough.

Since I was sitting in a GT that was "sold", I didn't want to start disassembling it right there in the showroom! But I will make a return visit, and ask if I can remove the seat bottom pad from one of the non-sold cars, and sit on the raw seat bottom plate to check for noggin clearance.

Guys, I'd have to echo Kirby's comments. I'm 6'2" 250 and the guys at Superformance Ohio took the seat completely out for my test drive. It wasn't uncomfortable without the seat, and once they explained the flexibility of the pedal arrangement, I feel very confident that they'll make it comfortable. We'll see...I'm going out at the end of the month to take delivery of my car.

Kirby - Mine's a MKII spec'd exactly like the 33 Gulf car on your home page...with the exception that I'm going with the 17" BRM's. How does it look in person?

Michael

Kirby Schrader

They're mostly silver
Lifetime Supporter
Here's three pics. One shows the 'beaten down' piece on the floor.
The other two show the 'seats'. The driver's side has had quite a bit of foam removed from the bottom and the back.

FWIW,
Kirby

Kirby - That's what I thought, actually.... I've seen pictures of the raw SPF tub, with the "integral" seats, and the plate with the big hole in it that forms the 'bottom' of the seat... I just didn't know if THAT assembly was removable somehow, or had to be beaten into shape while still installed in the car, in case modifying the foam seat bottom wasn't enough.

Since I was sitting in a GT that was "sold", I didn't want to start disassembling it right there in the showroom! But I will make a return visit, and ask if I can remove the seat bottom pad from one of the non-sold cars, and sit on the raw seat bottom plate to check for noggin clearance.

Attachments

• PB080038.jpg
    PB080038.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 683
  • PB080039.jpg
    PB080039.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 660
  • PB080040.jpg
    PB080040.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 659
Hi Rick,We have recently offered a non original, targa style 40 and a roadster 40, both using the original windscreen. the original style roadster ,as you know, is a very different looking animal and, as we are not sure how it would be received, we have held back on it for a while.
Regards Jom

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Hi Rick,We have recently offered a non original, targa style 40 and a roadster 40, both using the original windscreen. the original style roadster ,as you know, is a very different looking animal and, as we are not sure how it would be received, we have held back on it for a while.
Regards Jim

Yes Jim,

It is VERY different; doors, windscreen, "A" pillars, front cowl, rear clip, etc. It would be a major investment in tooling that would most likely have a very small market. I wouldn't expect you to offer the original roadster, I just think they are quite "neat".

Safir offered a "Targa" setup where the door "tops" unbolted from the doors and allowed "open top" motoring although you still had the side windows in place unless you unsrewed them. I assume you are doing something similar. Peter Thorpe did build himself a 40 with no roof, just a soft top that snapped over the open cockpit.

Still hope to order a Mk I sometime.

regards,

Rick

charlie c

Lifetime Supporter
Kirby - Great pics, thanks! NOW I understand.... I'm still going to go and have another sit... this time on bare metal!

- Charlie

Good idea about sitting in the car without the seat in place. These pictures are of my stock seats. As you can see the seat has less than 1" of foam under the butt. I'm 5'9" so I have the opposite problem as I will be adding foam for a proper view of the road which will also help on long rides. I think the flat metal under the seat is the bottom of the car so there isn’t any room to go in that direction. Good luck.

Attachments

• IMG_2527.JPG
    IMG_2527.JPG
    75.9 KB · Views: 545
  • IMG_2530.JPG
    IMG_2530.JPG
    67.4 KB · Views: 531
  • IMG_2538.JPG
    IMG_2538.JPG
    22 KB · Views: 498
Last edited:

charlie c

Lifetime Supporter
Okay, I've been down to SPF again, and this time I sat on the bare metal, and I do actually fit INSIDE the car. It's a little disconcerting to think that an object that scrapes the belly pan of the car will also scrape your buttcheeks, but before we drive Latigo canyon, I guess we'll just have to mount a broom attachment in place of a front splitter...

I had a chance to meet Lance on this visit, and he took the time to take me all through the car, a wonderful fellow.

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Charlie I am 6 foot 200 lbs and I have a SPF MK1 and fit into it like a tailored glove with the gurney bubble, matter fact its the best fit I have in sports cars. My son is 6'3" 260 lbs and can't get his knees under the dash with the seat in, take the seat out and put a 1/2" piece of dense foam and he fits. I was with Kirby when he had his adjustments made and within an hour of Dennis's adjustments we were driving down the road, I will say that ride is what sold another SPF.

Back