Assistance needed to source a product UK please.

Keith

Hey UK friends. Had a maiden voyage in Rum Runner on Saturday and I'm still recovering. Before you jump to obvious conclusions, I do not drink alcohol whilst navigating - purely health & heat issues. Had a few issues with the boat but none that that stopped our cruise from Chichester Harbour, via Cowes to Island Harbour Isle of Wight and thence to Lymington a distance of around 35-40 miles. She has suffered badly in the weather recently, damp, rust, mould, failed electrics etc, but God has sent 30+ temperatures this week to help dry her out. :)

We only had, erm, one 'incident' worthy of mention, when we arrived at Island Yacht Harbour for a rally with the port engine on fire. Well, not exactly on fire but smoldering gently. It was the decayed sound/fire insulation that had failed arround the huge turbo over the years, and the insulation decided it was going to have a Viking funeral. Nothing serious but I need to replace some panels.

Now, I know I can get it 25mm thick but that's too much - I need 12mm because there is no more room. Can anyone point me in the direction of a fire/sound insulation product that is quickly available in say, metre square sheets?

I know some of ya'll have discussed this in the past but cain't find any reference.

Cheers for any help....

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Keith

Gladyou are ok

How about dynamat or similar stuck onto normal board?
E bay is your friend

Then call the compnies direct tomorrow for better price and delivery and sizes

Ian

Keith

Thanks for the messages guys - I'll check that out Ian.

Hi Jack....well, she's here!!!

But only for a week.. it's costing £35 per night. Ouch.

I was so screwed I didn't even take a photo, I felt I was lashed to the Bostron by my O2 feed!

But, we have another couple of adventures planned this week. I hope to search Nicholson's Creek near Lymington, where I hear a nautical treasure is hidden....

But that's after I get the valet company in to spraunce it up a little... :)

I'd like to say thanks to my sister for making this all possible... :thumbsup:

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
I need 12mm because there is no more room. Can anyone point me in the direction of a fire/sound insulation product that is quickly available in say, metre square sheets?.

I know you said UK friends but I can dream, can't I?

Anyhow this stuff pretty much meets your description. It comes as 48" square rolled in a long skinny box and is roughly 12 mm thick. I'd be happy to forward it from a US suppier if needed, but the web site lists a lot of UK sources.

Thermo-Tec : Cool-It Mat

Careful there Keith, you may wind up another Dan Bran with all of that work.
"By Sea and Forest Enchanted" (Lymington coat of arms for those not familiar).
Mr. Bran was a nefarious boatbuilder a long time ago...

Old salt or Iron for Capt. Hardy's next adventure??? Treasures???
Lymington was a popular smuggling port many, many years ago.

Keith

That is perfect Alan! I had seen this in the UK but rejected it on price.

Do we get ripped off in the UK?

Have look here.

Thermo Tec Cool-Mat product in the USA 48" x 48" $78.93 (£50.60 GBP)

Thermo Tec Cool-Mat product in the UK 48" x 48" £114.97 (£179.30 USD)

Quite how they can justify that mark up (on EBay!) I cannot imagine. When we try to envisage likely US>UK prices, we just convert the dollar signs to GBPs and you're in the ballpark (dependent on duty of course but usually for automotive stuff around 7% or less I think) then there's 20% VAT on everything but even then....can this be right?

I will contact them in the US to see what shipping costs might be but they may not want to entertain me, so I might just get back to you Alan!

Thanks for the heads up. :thumbsup:

Keith

Not very good pics sorry, but not my fault.....

Rum Runner leaving Island Yacht Harbour with intrepid skipper at the helm... :)

IH2.jpg

I'm looking a bit apprehensive because I had just removed the oxygen delivering nasal cannula for the photo opp.. what a vain bastard! (But it was almost 30 degrees C at this point)

IH4.jpg

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
Keith, really delighted to see those photos as I understand how much that voyage means to you.

As regards the mat, if it's around the turbo, I think it must be a pure heat insulating mat you are looking for, and the sound insulation is only a by product. If you get something where sound insulation is the main feature, and heat insulation is the secondary feature, it might not survive!

regards
Dave

Keith

Brett that looks great stuff but see Dave's comment above. I fear he is correct. The Cool-Mat is used under car bonnets and although it does not seem to have a UK fire rating, Nimbus Motorsport (UK) reckon it can be used "near" a turbo without problems so I'll probably go for that..near being within 25mm.

Put it like this, I have to at least cover a large burnt area around 80 sq. ins. so that I can be sure it will not catch fire on the return trip Sunday.

At the moment, all that is protecting the oily engine box from the deadly heat assault of Mr Perkins's huge Holset turbo, is a few measly layers of Waitrose heavy duty foil from my Saturday lunch wrappings. Seems to work though - went out for a blast yesterday, no problems but didn't really get hot enough.

Thanks for all your assistance and kind comments guys.

I now have a have a viable solution......:thumbsup:

This is the bugger (bottom one)

Perkinss-1.jpg

Malcolm

Supporter
Hope you get it fixed quickly, this sunshine may be the only summer we get! Have been out and about on my little boat last two days and the Solent is the best right now. Today there is the Super Yatch Regatta, serious boats indeed. Massive and great looking. Cowes will be chokka as Royal visit today as well.

Keith

Went to Cowes and saw the JClass Regatta Saturday - all replicas.... rubbish...

Cowes was strangely quiet - I don't think the sight of 4 Dutch lookalikes quite caught the public imagination - they just looked too new - nice though.

HM Queen is finishing her Diamond Jubilee Tour at The New Forest Show, about 4 miles from me later, so today is the day NOT to go motoring and I might just pop over to Cowes later and wave at "Missy Quinn"

Think the Superyacht Regatta signals the run up to the opening of the Olympics in Weymouth. Go GBR!

Sounds posh doesn't it? It's nice having the boat here although I cannot afford the annual berthing fees, but at least I would get to use it...

Hmmmmm?????? (for next year) :)

Back