It has arrived!!

Salina Bailey

Supporter
And boy do I have some questions lol. First off, what an awesomely wicked car!! It looks wicked and it sounds wicked. Will find out later just how wicked fast it is, time to learn right now. So, can anyone tell me how you open the front clip? is there a trick? adjustment? Undid the latch on each side and there is something else holding it. it will bump and move a little but something else is holding it on each side and we cant get it open. Mind you we are a bit cautious I suppose, dont want to damage anything. Anyone have any pictures of the hinge assembly when its open?
What do all the toggle switches do? is there a set standard as to what each one is for? or is it to each their own? Ours does have a turn signal swith on the steering column, its amusing that someones wired them backwards in the dash, turn on the left blinker and the proper one in back blinks but the one in the dash blinks right.
fuel tanks, is there a crossover line so you dont have to switch tanks?
I did discover how the steering wheel comes off!! *hint* when you depress both buttons and pull....dont have your face down there looking at what you are doing...it hurts...nuff said.
Anyway, I appreciate any tips anyone might have, the front clip has us stumped. The rest is all fun. going for a short cruise on the back roads tomorrow. hopefully its not raining like mad.

Kirby Schrader

They're mostly silver
Lifetime Supporter
Yes, it's wicked.
I called it an animal the first time I drove it.
A friend called it brutal.
My son called it violent.
Have fun!

Front clip: There ain't no hinge. At least, not on the SPF's I've seen!

Recommended for two people, but can be done carefully with one...
Undo latches on each side.
Undo Dzus clips on front cover.
Disconnect both plugs on wiring loom that go to headlights, etal.
At least lift up the windshield wiper vertical, but recommended to take it off at the firewall.
Lift up on rear of clip so it clears the flip up fuel covers.
The hinged cover over the A/C and stuff that you undid the Dzus fasteners on MUST be UP while you do all this! (I added a NASCAR style hinged prop to aid me when I do it myself)
Move clip forward and raise up over the tires as you move forward.
Watch as guides on each side clear the 'spools' that are mounted on the chassis.
You should have it off by now... or did I forget something?
:blank:

It just slides forward after that.

Toggle switches from right to left on 'horizontal' part of dash.
Nothing.
Driving lights (won't work without headlights on)
Headlights (two position)
Wiper switch
A/C
Manual cooling fans
Steering wheel

Ahhh... forget it... the manual is available online!
:shy:

Second Strike - the Superformance Owners Group >>Technical>>Owners Manuals

There's only one light that blinks for turn signals no matter which direction you're turning on my car... Yours must be different?
No crossover switch. Just a hose. All automagical.

Y'all have fun now, hear?

Kirby

And boy do I have some questions lol. First off, what an awesomely wicked car!! It looks wicked and it sounds wicked. Will find out later just how wicked fast it is, time to learn right now. So, can anyone tell me how you open the front clip? is there a trick? adjustment? Undid the latch on each side and there is something else holding it. it will bump and move a little but something else is holding it on each side and we cant get it open. Mind you we are a bit cautious I suppose, dont want to damage anything. Anyone have any pictures of the hinge assembly when its open?
What do all the toggle switches do? is there a set standard as to what each one is for? or is it to each their own? Ours does have a turn signal swith on the steering column, its amusing that someones wired them backwards in the dash, turn on the left blinker and the proper one in back blinks but the one in the dash blinks right.
I did discover how the steering wheel comes off!! *hint* when you depress both buttons and pull....dont have your face down there looking at what you are doing...it hurts...nuff said.
Anyway, I appreciate any tips anyone might have, the front clip has us stumped. The rest is all fun. going for a short cruise on the back roads tomorrow. hopefully its not raining like mad.

Salina Bailey

Supporter
You guys rock! I am attempting to print that. My printer is trying to go on strike but I will prevail dang it!
I have a short video of it idling in front of the shop, let me see if I can get a link to load up. This is P2107

YouTube - gt40.mpg

Salina Bailey

Supporter
Kirby you can be guaranteed we will have fun!! thanks for the tips. gonna give it another try tomorrow. Hey by the way, we also have a 71 Pantera, body is in the paint shop, it soon comes home to be put together.

You will need to pull out slightly on the bodywork just above the side clips until clips are up a foot or so. Then start sliding it forward up and over the tires until its off. I've done this by myself but having two people makes it much easier.

You guys rock! I am attempting to print that. My printer is trying to go on strike but I will prevail dang it!
I have a short video of it idling in front of the shop, let me see if I can get a link to load up. This is P2107

YouTube - gt40.mpg

Just remember that your car was one of the very first to make it to the US. You will no doubt find that there are subtle differences between your car and what you see in the manual. I seem to remember from when I drove it at Road Atlanta that your ignition switch is located on the dash rather than the center console, for example. There could be other small differences. One thing I am sure is the same, though, is the ear-to-ear grin you will wear when you drive it!

Ours does have a turn signal swith on the steering column, its amusing that someones wired them backwards in the dash, turn on the left blinker and the proper one in back blinks but the one in the dash blinks right.

What color is the right blinker light on the dash? The single blinker light on my car is yellow and is the top left light. It blinks whenever the tusn signal (regardless of which side) is flashing. It is very bright at night. If yours is like mine, the bulb might not be in the bulb socket.

Yes, there is a crossover.

The early cars did not come with Owners Manuals as it wasn't written until about a year later. All the info you need is here on this site.

Let the fun begin!

Salina Bailey

Supporter
Daryl we saw in the pics you sent that the start button was not installed, but since then someone has put it in its proper place. The online manual got printed out last night and answers a lot of questions.
I misunderstood about the blinkers, the one on the dash is correct, only one. its the front blinkers that are reversed. I was behind the car on the way home and the rear blinkers were correct.
So now I am understanding that the front clip does not just flip up. it removes.
I did video a little on the way home, well my friend did, he has use of one arm so video was a little shaky...but then we were in my Dodge Diesel 4x4 so a little shaky turned into downright seasick shaky lol. was still fun! We could still hear the GT over my diesel Which was pretty good as the Diesel has 4 inch exhaust with a resonator only.
Oh yeah this one has a small camera mounted on the rear but no screen inside to view. Daryl do you remember it having one?

Has anyone ever had a track day up here? Seattle or Portland?

Kirby Schrader

They're mostly silver
Lifetime Supporter
Oh, oh! Maybe I can help again?

With respect to the reversed signals on the front... I had the same problem. Also, my driving lights (fog lights) wouldn't work.

Check the plugs in the front. There are two plugs and sockets in the harness that goes to the lights in the front clip. The ones you have to disconnect to remove the front clip.

Check the yellow wire in one and the yellow/black in the other. I'll bet you they are reversed and you have a yellow/black going to a yellow and a yellow going to a yellow/black. Pull these out and reverse them so yellow goes to yellow and yellow/black goes to yellow/black.

That's what was wrong with mine when I received it. Took me awhile to track that down....

Of course, if that doesn't fix it, check the other color codes are one to one.

FWIW,
Kirby

Daryl we saw in the pics you sent that the start button was not installed, but since then someone has put it in its proper place. The online manual got printed out last night and answers a lot of questions.
I misunderstood about the blinkers, the one on the dash is correct, only one. its the front blinkers that are reversed. I was behind the car on the way home and the rear blinkers were correct.
So now I am understanding that the front clip does not just flip up. it removes.
I did video a little on the way home, well my friend did, he has use of one arm so video was a little shaky...but then we were in my Dodge Diesel 4x4 so a little shaky turned into downright seasick shaky lol. was still fun! We could still hear the GT over my diesel Which was pretty good as the Diesel has 4 inch exhaust with a resonator only.
Oh yeah this one has a small camera mounted on the rear but no screen inside to view. Daryl do you remember it having one?

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
While there is a crossover for the left/right tanks if you open BOTH fillers when filling it will fill faster.

If you need help with anything contact me and we will be glad to help. Also Dennis Olthoff is the resident expert on the SPF GTs and can answer/fix/dope out most any issue.

PIR has several track days suitable for GT40's. The best ones I've run are Shelby Club, Lotus, and Cascade SCC. Look up the schedule on the PIR website.

RedReiner, you're in luck - there are a bunch of smart SPF guys on here who can help with those familiarization questions.

I see you're in Washington State - if you're anywhere near Seattle there's another forum member coming by my place on Sunday morning (NE Seattle) around 10:30 to talk and check out the GT40...feel free to come by as well if you're inclined (shoot me a PM).

Cheers and welcome!

Salina Bailey

Supporter
DaveM thanks for the info, I looked it up and PIR has club days and pacific doesnt seem to. click on just about anything and it takes you right to the driving school. I think one of the PIR days would be a good one to go to.

Hi Cliff! used to live over in Wallingford. we moved out in the tooleys though, like it out here in the woods :) We will have to meet up sometime, Tomorrow I think we are going to take if for a cruise on the back roads of Sno county. Gotta get the OH signed up on here though, he has some technical questions :)

RedReiner, have a great drive. Might be a nice sunny day!

There are several NW GT40 guys on here - they have periodically organized a get-together in the North Bend area (which I have unfortunately missed to-date). Would be great to have a GT40 gathering this summer...might be able to get six or eight GT40s to show up.

Cheers and enjoy!

Back