15 in tyres

I am looking to replace the fairly tired bf goodrich tyres on my car (fr 215/60 15 rr255/60 15) with something a little more grippy!!
i am hoping to stay with 15in. anyone got any suggestions or anything that must be avoided
dunlop do a D01J or D98J in 205/60 15 and 225/50 15 which has a wider tread area than the tyres that are on at the moment but they arent exactly going to fill the rear arches! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

thanks dave b

David,
try Michelin TB type.They are road legal, very good grip and they will come out with a new one early this year for the rear.
Lifetime is less than other marks and they are not cheap.
fred

Hi Fred
had a look on the michelin website,they sound ideal as i plan to do quite a lot of track time this year!
i had'nt realised the tb's were still available, used them on the rally car years ago.
they list a 23/62 15 which sounds ideal for the rear is this the size you were refering to, or are there more sizes due out?

thanks dave b

Dave,
Have a look at the Avon CR6ZZ, supposed to be quite sticky. See www.avonracing.com look under racing tyres, then click road legal. Supply may be restricted to certain dealers like BMTR though I could be wrong.
Good luck, Paul

Dave, Last year I was in the same quandary,but eventually found some Yokohamas that were exactly the same dimensions as the BFGs. These are fronts A539 sized 215/60-R15, and rears Y352 sized 265/50-R15.They are both H-rated tyres (upto 130mph)- which is enough for me!
The A539s fronts are commonly used in production car racing, so are clearly up to the job, and are easily available and more to point dead cheap!Currently they are listed on the MyTyres site at £50.90 each delivered. The rears were more of a problem, but MyTyres eventually found me a pair of the Y352s.They are descibed as 4X4 tyres in Europe, but a bit of research indicated that they are also fitted to cars (as per some reviews that I read).So I ordered them and they turned out to be the closest thing imaginable to the BFGs - pattern/construction/weight etc - but just a lot newer and cheaper. I got my 4 tyres for under £200 and to date they are proving to be excellent.If you go for the Y352s prepare for a long wait!

Attachments

• 73345-P1000208.JPG
    73345-P1000208.JPG
    103.3 KB · Views: 302
Dave,
Sorry for late reply but I missed yr question.
Actual tires of Michelin TB are a bit low for the GT40.However it has a great look when seeing the car ground level.
I use them on the road (road legal) but bumps sometimes need to be taken in diagonal,but when taking the channel train , it is not a problem to get on the train....
For track,there is no issue, since you know the tires are great on grip but rather quickly end of use...that's the game I would say
I heard from a tire supplier back at the 6H Spa historic in Sept last year that Michelin would make a new tire more compatible to the GT40 on height.I suggest you doublecheck wich I also will do.
I assume you know but these tires are not cheap...but again, no free lunch.
Hope this helps
Rgds
Fred

Back