15 inch tyres.....

Malcolm

Supporter
This thread is about 15 inch tyres only! However help is wanted from you irrelevant of what tyre size you currently run as you will see further down the post.

This morning I had another telephone conversation with Cooper Avon Tyres. They currently produce a road legal, radial construction tyre with historic looking tread in a good grippy compound in both a 215 60 15 and a 245 60 15, which are in use on a number of GTD's in the UK. I have been on the phone to Cooper Avon every couple of months since last christmas as they have been considering producing some larger sizes of tyre that may be better sized for the GT40 market. However no progress has been made towards production as demand levels for any particular size has yet to be determined. I had submitted a paper to Avon last year but now would like some additional feedback from everyone to add some extra weight to the international need for bigger 15 inch tyres for the GT40 market. We need a big input here so that the right size of tyre is promoted.

I would like everyone to take part, be you builders, owners, racers, polishers, manufacturers, and anyone who suffers from a lack of 15 inch rubber.

Please can you post your existing tyre sizes ( be it 15/16/17 inch) and make that you currently use and your ideal wanted tyre size for a 15 inch rim and then to split them into front and rears. For ease of data collection can you follow the format I use below where possible.

The first figures are the standard GTD factory set up from when I bought my car.

GTD Factory Standard Fr Goodrich Comp T/A 215 60 VR 15
GTD Factory Standard Rr Goodrich Comp T/A 265 50 VR 15

I now use (non road use/competition only)

Existing Fr Dunlop Post Historic 10 4.75 15
Existing Rr Dunlop Post Historic 12 6 15

But my wanted sizes are

Ideal Fr 235 55 VR 15
Ideal Rr 295 50 VR 15

Please help by responding here as the more input we can get the more chance that a new tyre size will go into production. This is not a UK only thing as Cooper Avon distribute all over the world so this will help everyone.

If someone is clever enough to turn this into a simple poll then please do so!

Once there is a good chunk of data here I will collate it and forward to the directors at Cooper Avon.

Current Sizes:

Front 225/50 R16
Rear 255/50 R16

Ideal:

Front 235/50 R15
Rear 295/50 R15

Malc, they must realise that there is a market - especially with all the increased historic enthusiasm.

Regards,

J.P

Hello Malcolm,
This is an excellent exercise !
I have a 1992 (finished 2002) KVA with 7x15 front & 9x15 rear on one-piece Compomotives.

I now use (road use)

Existing Fr General Tire 235 60 15 R
Existing Rr General Tire 265 60 15 R

But my wanted sizes are

Ideal Fr 235 60 VR 15
Ideal Rr 275 60 VR 15

I bought R tyres purely to set up the suspension, expecting to scrub them out in weeks, but they just wont wear out. I'm now happy to wait for Avon to add to its range of road-legal VR's. Surely, my wheel sizes are pretty common on '40's?
Hope you get good response from us and Cooper Avon. At least Cooper Avon have made a start. I checked out their website though and there was no mention of the tyres you mentioned.
Cheers,
Tony.

Front 215-55 x15 Pirelli P7
Rear 275-55 x15 Pirelli P7 -currenttly installed.
Ideal replacement would be:
Front 225-55 x15 V rated grippy compound
Rear 275-55 x15 V rated grippy compound
Alternative sizes would be,
Front 225-60 x15 V rated
Rear 295-50 x15 V rated

I currently have a set of the Avon CR6ZZ fitted to my Mallock RML GT40 and have been extremely pleased with the results.
I too on numerous occassions have expressed the market need to the Avon tech reps for them to offer a wider tyre to their limited choice of 216 and 245 60 15. The most recent response I received was that they are very well aware of the market potential but production difficulties related to tooling have discouraged them from moving ahead more quickly to satisfy our needs.
Without doubt the proposal here to develop a level of interest can only serve to help our cause with Avon to encourage them to offer an improved choice. I guess the Cobra boys need to be doing the same exercise.

Howard Jones

Supporter
I went to 17" wheels because of this issue.

Current Front 225 Rear 285

If I had been able to easily find a 15" tire I would have wanted the fronts to be 25 1/2" in diameter and have 8" of tread width. The rears would have been 26" in diameter and 10 inches of tread width. This translates to 8" wide front wheels and 10" wide rears.

Hello

My tires is very old and I look for new tires, I curently have
Pirelli 285/50-15 vr
pirelli 225/60-15 vr

would like

295/50-15 rear
235/50-15 front

regards
Linder

Here is a reply I have had today from Avon.

Dear James,

We are looking at the viability of a wider CR6ZZ. Some market research has shown a requirement, the problem I have now is justifying the spend to make it happen.
The size we are looking at would probably be 285/50R15 :- Diameter = 26.65" (677mm) / Section width = 11.80" (300mm) and Tread width = 10.60" (269mm). All sizes are, of course, approximate at this time.
Current 245/60R15 :- Diameter = 26.65" (677mm) / Section width = 9.88" (251mm) and Tread width = 8.66" (220mm).
Price would be in the region of £170.00

Please advise all parties interested, that you may know, about this and get them to e-mail me, I can then get my justification through as soon as possible.

Best Regards,

Brian Davies.

OK everyone to make this work please email Brian and request your tyres.

His email address is: [email protected]

Get typing guys!

Regards,

J.P

Yuji

Lifetime Supporter
Mine are GTD Standard. Looks no other option in the market here. There might be some but probably very limitted and expensive? Do not know whether AVON is available here??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Malcolm

Supporter
Having been to the Cobra forum, they all want a rear tyre that would suit us sized 295/50/15. The front they want is the 245/60/15, one that is already available from Avon. Therefore I will be forwarding their thread to Avon to help back up our discussions here. Please keep posting as we still need more input.

Youji, Avon claim worldwide coverage so should be avaiable in your neck of the woods. If not you can always import. I know of UK members who have done so with tyres from both Germany and USA.

Back