15 inch tyres.....

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Jools,

I am running the same set of Hoosiers as you and I am totally thrilled with them. In fact, a new set was ordered today. They have updated to a steel belt instead of fiberglass belt and changed the tread (or lack thereof!) pattern. I use them as my daily road tires and the only down side is they're not great on mileage.

Another reason I prefer them is they are quite abit shorter in diameter than the next best thing allowing me to drop the car ride height a bit.

I'll admit though, I haven't tried the Avon slicks.

I agree Tim their reduced diameter has allowed me to drop the ride height to 3 1/2" front 4" rear. All wisdom sugests that I really should have a minimum of 3/4" difference front to rear,( not to mention 4 1/2" minimum ride height!!) but as much as I would like this to explain away my seemingly regular off piste action when racing, I think we all know the more likely explanation! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif
It's either stickier tyres next season or I'll have to fit a grass collector box from the venturi's.
I too have been known to use these tyres on road and they perform better than any other road tyre Ive ever tried... unfortunatly if you happen to get stopped by an unsympathetic policeman in the UK, they can take a dim vue of the legalities of these particular tyres for public road use! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Tim, for a car that will be mainly street-driven are the Hoosiers okay or should I try to find the Avons? Or should I just get a set of Goodyears or similar for street driving and get a second set of wheels with Hoosiers/Avons for my occasional track days?

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Jim,

Probably shouldn't ask me that question if your the practical type. Me, I'm guilty of flagrant impracticality. With that said, I love the Hoosiers. They don’t last long but they sure do grip, even on the local street not warmed up. Because of the sticky compound they also pick up a lot of pebbles so I’m constantly cleaning out my wheel well area where stuff collects as well as the door hinge area.

Their diameter and profile on the 15” rim enhance the overall appearance in my opinion, which really turns me on.

In a nutshell, go with the Hoosiers for handling and appearance. All else doesn’t matter once they’re mounted.

You have PM

Malcolm,
I had hoped to meet with Avon people at the Autosport Show but alas, amazingly they didn't have a stand there this time.
Could you please update us of your progress to date. Like many others, I am keen to pursuade Avon to produce a wider CR6ZZ for the rears.

Malcolm

Supporter
Whilst at Autosport myself, I had a pre arranged meeting with the Avon guys, Brian Davies and Trevor Swettenham, and spent some time with them going through our requirements. They now have a hefty pile of paper from me as "research" into what would be a wanted size of tyre to manufacture. I gave as much encouragement to them as I possibly could!

Right now I am not at liberty to reveal what they are thinking or doing.

Personally I am sticking with 15 inch rims as I think they look the part and perform perfectly well for my needs.

When I know more or am allowed to say what is happening I will do so.

Another question concerning tires. If I go with the 1075 rear hips and 12" wide rims, how wide a tire can I fit? I was looking at the AVON historic tires and found the following:

8.5/23.5-15 (front - 8.3 tread width)
11.0/25.0-15 (rear - 13.6 tread width)

Thanks

Bill

Malcolm

Supporter
Yeah, I was supposed to meet them at 2 but called them early and met them at midday so I could offload the paper I was carrying. My arms were aching. They were well pleased with that!!!

Don't Goodyear do some monster wide rubber for those with big hips?

Bill, with GT40 Australia and 1075 guards you can easily fit 335 width in(on 17" rims), by looks of it, the maximum tyre you could squeeze in there would be 20mm wider than that. So 13.6 would work out to be around 345mm, I don't see a problem, even with extra tyre bulge from 15" rims, it will fit, but your rim offsets would need to be exact. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hi there, do you have the dunlop CR82 tires?? if so, why you find them not suitable for road(racing) use?? I plan to buy these tires, so I'm very interesting to hear. I'm going for the sizes 430/1160-15 in the front and 530/1360-15 in the rear. Please let me know.

Regards,

Daniel the flying dutchman

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Yes I was also planning to use CR82's. Same fronts, 530/1500-15 rears. These are one of the approved tyres here for classic racing. I'd like to hear comments also.
Regards

Hi,

I checked on the 530/1500-15 dunlop racing tires, you'd need 14.0 - 15.5 wide rims, so that's seriouse business if you ask me!!! I thought I was already wide with 12' rims in the back !!

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
I think 14's will be just fine. I ran a 1600 twin cam Brabham BT21 in the early 70's which had 10's and 14's on it when I bought it.(13" diameter though not 15") Went round the corners pretty good but I think the extra drag killed it in a straight line. Don't expect that to be so much of a problem with the 40 though! I believe that's what they ran on the original cars towards the end of their development.

Hi there,

currently A company in the states is building a 4 speed (930 late model) porsche gearbox for me. They are really professionals, the name is Powerhaus II . Check with them, prices are good due low dollar.
The wide body of yours, do you have close up pictures, I want to change mine to wide body. Do you know the width difference? The new rear rims of mine will be 12 or 13" wide...

Back