1st MDA to Canada

Hi Ron,

Funny you should mention the entry/exit factor. I paid a visit to Ian at CAV who kindly allowed my rear to have a seat in a Mk I for the first time. There must be a 'technique' to get in and out because I surely didn't have it! Glad to have a roll bar that doesn't require Yoga classes.

Can't wait to have the chance to develop my own entry/exit strategy!

Chris

Well, finally got the car on it's wheels today so I thought I would roll the beast outside for some -20°C artic air, man it was a cold wind (as you can see by my frozen eye lids!)

The rear body needs some trimming on the inside mud guard area so that I can close it without it fouling the reverse links, not a big deal (MDA usually do this but we were tight for time to get the car shipped). Fuel tanks trial fitted, sill panels in the garage. The wheels might need a bit of machining for backspace, it's close, so I might need to drop the ride height to get a better idea. No machining was done to the wheels when ordered but Bob at Vintage sent me the maximum material removal specs for the front and rear.

Anti-roll bars tomorrow.

Chris

Attachments

• 74982-MDAOutside_00.jpg
    74982-MDAOutside_00.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 740

Mark Charlton

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Great progress Chris,

Looks like you'll be all done in a couple of weeks! LOL /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Keep up the pics, they're great. PS, I'll trade my cold and snowy for your cold only...

Mark

Here ya go Mark -

I had to trim the inner mud guards for the rear body to clear the reverse links. I lowered it until it made contact and marked off the area to be trimmed. Jigsaw worked fine and it now can close without effort.

Chris

Attachments

• 75045-MudGuardTrim_00.jpg
    75045-MudGuardTrim_00.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 733
Rear anti-sway bar installed. They'll need to be taken off later for engine/trans installation.

Next up is the steering system.

Chris

Attachments

• 75274-MDARearSuspension_01.jpg
    75274-MDARearSuspension_01.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 740
Hi Chris,

I went with 6-pin (for 6-pin MDA hubs) Halibrand Vintage Wheels @ 7.5 inch front and 9.5 inch rear. I can't get the tyres (ha) in Canada so I had to order them from The Tire Rack (great service). Front's are 225/50/15 Dunlop Qualifier T (T-speed rating) and 295/50/15 rear. Everything fits beneathe the wheel arch and has a nice beefy look.

Chris

Chris Kouba

Supporter
Yeah, those tires fill the wells really nicely. Seems like those are the standard sizes for ~8" fronts and ~10" rears. Looks great, keep up the progress!

Chris

I'm actually selling my wheels (possibly tires also). The wheels are brand, spankin' new with no machining off the hub boss. The tires still have the labels stuck to them - Change of plans so they have to go. See above for specs.

Chris

Mark Charlton

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Chris,

Are you changing to the BRM style? I would assume that since you're going Gulf...

More pics...?

Mark

Hi Mark - I know this should be posted in the Items for Sale Forum but I'll sneak a plug in here-

To be completely honest, I really don't know what wheel type I want just yet. With that said, I might as well sell these and free up some of that money and invest into other areas of the car right now so I can get it more up to speed for Carlisle in May. I can buy wheels at anytime, they just don't serve a purpose yet. It is a beautiful wheels/tire combo that I will definately conside next time.

One thing I do know for certain is that the paint scheme won't be a Gulf job - I'll surprise you later when it all comes together. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Chris

Attachments

• 75684-Wheels&Tires_01.jpg
    75684-Wheels&Tires_01.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 703
Hey guys - long time Canadian GT40 enthusiast.

Wow, this MDA looks impressive. Is this suspension designed by MDA? Is a donor car necessary?

Back