1UZFE for Superlite Coupe - Ideas?

Jeezus Fran . .i near had a hearty when i saw that beauty . . .nice work, have you sent any R/H drive versions to Oz that may be road registered???

Russ ,
Not yet...unfortunately...you want to be first??:)

I would really like to have more of an RCR presence in Australia.....although I have a feeling there may be two RCR40's heading that way quite soon.... ;)..the exchange rate is certainly very favourable for you guys at the moment too.

We can make the SL cars in RHD or LHD with no effort at all.....

Yeh it, dropped 10c a week or so ago, but has recovered well. Problem over here may be the transport authorities . . .locally produced kits have enough issues on their own i think, l'll have to wait until someone prooves me wrong . . i'd have no issues with driving the R/H drive Oz version prototype you send down my way Fran :D . . ..I'll just chuck the rego plate of the wife's nifty 50 scooter on her and rack up some Oz summer dusty kilometres on it!!!
pm me if you need a delivery address :eek:

Dont worry about the ADR....go play somewhere that you can drive quickly with no problems...the racetrack.

I am actually going to send a chassis or two over to Oz for the ADR torsional tests and leave them there to enable ease of registration for you guys.....hows that for service....??

Now ya talking, my old man has a big shed on his property out near the Queensland Raceway circuit . . .just have to convince him to leave him mustang out under the car port!!

Seriously though. . .what state are you looking at basing an Oz rep?

Sorry for jumping on this thread by the way

As yet there will be no rep.

I have a very good and experienced pal that will oversee the engineering tests and will keep all the RCR test components safe once certification is over.

Queensland will be home base for the testing.

Stick with Qld Fran. . .I'm sure others here will agree with me. . .best state in Oz :) . . .Yet there is bound to be a whinging cockroach or two that won't agree :D

Fran do not underestimate how much of a PITA getting a car registered in Aus can be.
Firstly ADR's (now mostly harmonized with the rest of the world thankfully) were invented mostly as a protectionist idea to keep the Aussie car industry alive.
States have taken this PITA attitude to the next level by adding their own level of bureaucracy on top (Which of course varies by state). And of course the bureaucrats you have to deal with can arbitrarily make up decisions as the public and the bureaucrats don't actually know properly what the rules are.

I knew it would get a bite Doug . . .at least your not from Melbourne. . .the weather messes up their mind down there!!, and their VB is an average drop to say the least

Chris Kouba

Supporter
Reeling in the thread drift...

Dave, are you worried about emissions? We get away with things because our 40's are from the 60's but the SLC will likely get registered as the year it's built. It might be something to think about before eliminating smog gear and going postal with the hardware- although the true gurus on this or the other forum might already know the ways around this as well.

That said, the low boost, twin turbo'd option does have enormous sex appeal.

Best of luck moving the Esprit and can't wait to see the SLC in the flesh.

Unfortunately I think all the cars that get built here in Australia, are considered as new cars and must comply with the current regulations. Hot Rods for some reason are different.

Thanks guys...

I am aware of some major changes in the rules coming into effect in 08 and I am trying to keep as informed as possible.
It appears that a major clampdown is going to happen to customers having their cars built for them...eg: TK or TK minus.
The reason I am sending chassis and parts over is to open the door for more builders to be able to have access to RCR cars...once one or two have been through ADR then we should be rolling along nicely...the issues start if the car gets built too far off the beaten track of a standard RCR ......obviously it could be more personalised after the ADR but I couldn't possibly condone such a thing....:rolleyes:..

Lets keep this Superlite thread on track and start a new Australian thread....just like flatchat...his post needs some life back in it....as he ahsn't posted any Australian windchimes recently...

The biggest issue in Aus is ADR 79/01, which is the current emission standard for brand new cars. I've just been through this and had long discussions with the RTA regarding the emissions and according to them an ICV (Individualy Constructed Vehicle(ie: GT40)) woukd need to pass half of the emissions that were relevent three years ago ie:19/00.
Obviously the government doesn't want to see these cars go through and are making it as hard as possible This is in NSW and the other states are different.

The powers that be must be bored and have nothing pressing to do...picking on a small band of car builders must look like fun to them....

Dave Lindemann

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Chris -

Actually, Minnesota appears to be pretty lenient on the topic. I've searched the DMV site and it appears they require a VIN, list of parts sources and receipts and a vehicle inspection. There is no emissions testing in the state. That being said, I really need to stop at my local DMV office and talk to them about exactly what is involved. I haven't done anything to the engine except remove the torque converter and flex plate so far. You make a good point and I need to get some documentation from the DMV before I start removing parts.

Thanks,
Dave L

Reeling in the thread drift...

Dave, are you worried about emissions? We get away with things because our 40's are from the 60's but the SLC will likely get registered as the year it's built. It might be something to think about before eliminating smog gear and going postal with the hardware- although the true gurus on this or the other forum might already know the ways around this as well.

That said, the low boost, twin turbo'd option does have enormous sex appeal.

Best of luck moving the Esprit and can't wait to see the SLC in the flesh.

Dave, In Oz they don't allow you to use an engine older than 5 years old, and I think it must remain the same as the donor vehicle . .when are Ford going to bring out a 7lt aluminium twin turbo small block??, but i've seen in some states of the US they title a GT40 as a 66 model and they need only meet emissions for that period vehicle . . .well thats what i think is the go . .
Russ

Back