2008 F250 V10 6-Speed For Sale - Ultimate Gas Racer Tow Truck - $15200

Ron Earp

Admin
**First off, I apologize for putting this out there in a non-cars for sale section but I personally feel the truck will be of interest to racers who tow. I'd like to give friends here a crack at it before putting it on Autotrader and other sites for $17.5k. I'll not leave the post up for long.

Title says it all, rare 2008 Ford F250 that can get work done. The truck has 36500 miles on it and is in fantastic shape - no scratches, dents, etc. and runs great. Interior is extremely nice. Has a spray in bedliner that doesn't look like its ever worked a day in its life.

Specifics:

2008 Ford F250 XL model. Options are CD/MP3, tow package with manual extendable mirrors and built in brake controller, and sliding rear glass.

6.8L V10 and ZF six speed manual, L and five forward gears, L is for getting started with heavy loads. Rated to tow 14,500 lbs, gross total weight 22,000 lbs. Gas mileage seems pretty reasonable at around 14.5-15 on the highway and it is looking to be around 12 in town. Great work truck.

KBB on the truck is around $19k for excellent to $16.5k for fair. I'd say this truck is good to excellent. That being said, I'm only asking what I have in it which is $15.2k.

I have a carfax for the truck. The truck has had two owners (I am the third), each for about two years. I called Ford with the VIN and the truck has had no recalls issued and has never had any Ford warranty work done to it. It is a solid truck. If I had more garage space I'd keep it around but as a daily driver the size is a bit much for what I want.

Email me call 919-949-5851.

v10andlsmall.jpg

KBB Info

More pictures here:

Index of /images/v10

Why am I selling? Well, I did a "The V10 Experiment" on a racer forum and here is a post from that thread. Basically, I love it but my truck has to be my daily driver and an F250 as a daily here in Cary NC is a bit tight.

As some of you know I’ve been beating around the idea of getting a new truck for a daily driver and tow vehicle. I’ve been shopping number trucks and after some discussions here was swayed toward the used side of truckdom which would allow me to have far less skin in the game and experiment a little.

Yesterday I picked up a 2008 F250 2WD V10 six speed manual regular cab truck. It is a pretty rare animal given that only around 5% of F250s had V10s and only a small percentage of those had manual transmissions. This is the 30 valve V10 and the final version that Ford produced before phasing the motor out in 2011 for the F250/F350 range (it is still used in F450s and commercial applications). The truck has 36000 miles on it and according to the digital hour meter around 1200 hours on the engine. It is in excellent shape and doesn’t appear to have worked a day in its life. No rust and clean underneath. Very basic, no frills – AC, CD/MP3, brake controller, vinyl floor, crank windows, and so on. Pretty cool if you ask me.

I bought the truck up around Allentown PA and drove it back to NC yesterday and today. The truck drives well and feels very new, that is to say, I don’t think anything is worn, broken, or misadjusted. My impressions are the following:

Pros
*Motor – the V10 is great. Smooth. Quiet. Lots of power and torque that is available with no lag or delay. It has a weird moan when you get on it but nothing that detracts from driving. HP and TQ are located more or less all over the rev range from 1k to 5k. The truck is rated to tow 14,500 lbs and I suspect it’d do it without any hassle. Eats cheap gas and according to my calculations got 15.2 MPG on the highway rolling in the 50-78mph range (one data point so don’t assign much value to this) with no load.

*Interior space – it is a bit larger than my F150 and that isn’t a bad thing. It has a decent, if a bit too plasticy, interior that could be spruced up with Sat/Nav and so on. I love the crank windows though and wouldn’t ditch those. Nice gauges and standard US truck controls – blue is cold, red is hot, etc, not a bunch of Klingon pictograms and diagrams like you’d find in a BMW or MB. Want AC? Turn fan on high and dial to AC, get cold.

* I like saying “Super Doody”.

*Brakes are great. Probably has the same size brakes as the big cab diesels without the additional weight and it seems to whoa! quite well.

*Six speed – fun, interesting, and make the driving experience more involved, connected, and physical. The shift mechanism is quite precise although as you would expect the throws are long. The clutch is easy, although you Honduh fanbois would probably call it heavy. It isn’t.

Cons
*An F250 is a big truck. It doesn’t drive as well as my F150 (Lightning) on the highway. It is considerably bumpier than my current ride and has a larger turning radius, which is to say it isn’t pleasurable in tight parking lots. No doubt this takes some getting used to and as a daily driver I’d be giving up a lot compared to the Lightning.

Back