930 Transaxle - Any recent customers of Renegade Hybrids out there?

Alex Hirsbrunner

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Folks,

Like Ron Earp, I have recently decided to replace the Audi trans I have been planning to use in my RCR with a Porsche 930. This was a hard choice, as the 6 speed 2WD O1E I have is Audi factory new with a beautiful right hand shift modification & new Quaife install done by Jerry Jansing. However, after doing quite a bit of research, I am convinced that a 475 hp @6K, 475 lb-ft 374 CID stroker SBF is going to be better served by a 4 speed 930 than the 01E (both in durability and ratio-wise).

I currently have requests for quotes for a turnkey 930 for my RCR in with PowerHaus II and Renegade Hybrids. I have seen plenty of positive feedback on PowerHaus II, but not much info (at least that is recent by searching the forum) regarding the quality of the work/service provided by Renegade Hybrids.

I would appreciate any insights or experience anyone can share.

As an FYI, Renegade posts the following pricing information on their website:

Rebuilt 930 transaxle and electric speedometer modification: $4,900

ADD: Flipping of ring and pinion for mid engine use: $1,100
(Al H. comment - this not required for RCR GT40s as the box is inverted)

ADD: Shortened bellhousing and main shaft for space limited applications (911,914 GT-40, etc) or for lighter clutch components: $500

ADD: Adapter plate and hardware, flywheel and bolts, Kevlar high performance clutch disc, HP pressure plate, throw out bearing, and pilot bearing: $1,790

GRAND TOTAL: $8,290 (all the above)

Thanks & Best Regards,

Al

Renegeade outsources their work to Bobby Hart of California Motorsports(CMS)...
I would suggest speaking with Bobby directly...928-855-8755 and getting his take on things too.

PH and CMS will be pretty close price wise.....

CMS also does their own side shifter for G50's but this must be installed while the trans is disassembled and cannot be a retrofit.....however I have heard both good and bad results with the sideshifter,I dont know if the shifter is available for the 930 though...

Chris Kouba

Supporter
Al,

FWIW, that's also the ZF ballpark if you have the patience and desire. It was ~8wks for mine through Dennis Quella at Pantera Performance. 303 660 9897 I think.

Bobby does not offer the sideshifter for the 930.

(If I remember correctly) he said he can build the five and even six speeds to hold 800+ horsepower but the price is in the 8-13K range depending on how much HP and other specifics.

Just F.Y.I., I would seriously think about using Renagade Hybrids. If you want to get a feel for their customer support and the "qualtity" of some of their offerings, check out this forum and serch RH.

The Porsche Hybrids Board :: Index

This is A Porsche Hybrid forum with most built from RH parts. I am building my own parts and would NOT ever use RH. There are many posts about them. Some parts age good but when you have a problem, they basiclly do not help. This would include problems like their parts adr defective or oil pans that leak or mounts that don't fit. Also they take forever to ship everything.

Alex Hirsbrunner

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Pete,

Thanks very much for the heads up. At this point PowerHausII has provided fast, comprehensive responses to my questions (Thanks Ryan!), and while I have subsequently received a response from RH, it was not specific to my request and appears to be a copy of the information already on their website.

Regards,

Al

It's the exact opposite for PowerhausII. The guys on the hybrid site that have used them say that they are the best to deal with. Good products/services and great customer service!

Back