Australian Floods

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Pete, to where are you escaping to in the USA?
Right now I'm in Steamboat Springs Colorado. Had a huge snow storm last night that knocked out the satellite coms, I just got back on. I live on the Brisbane river so I'm a bit concerned that my house may be being flooded at the moment, but hey I'm still alive and considering the alternative, that's a good place to be. Stay well.

flatchat(Chris)

Supporter
Inland Tsunami hits Toowoomba --with devastating consequences --still pissing down rain --Brisbane bracing for the onslaught.
The Eastern part of the country (Australia) is underwater and the Western part is on fire with heat waves. Scheeez !
The state of Queensland with an area of approx. 668,000 square miles(1,723,900 sq klm) is more than 50% disaster stricken, ie business is at a stand still...........

Stay safe Pete.

Last edited:
Here is some video footage of the flash fllod that occured on 10/01/2011 in Toowoomba QLD. Insane what is going on

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com
P><P><A href=
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-s41zc4cFtY
<o:p></o:p>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Gm4V-B0BH4&feature=related
<o:p></o:p>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYUpkPTcqPY

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Wow that is scary, particularly the speed at which it rose. The guy in the 4wd was a risk taker.
I read that 70 people are missing around the Toowoomba area. Let's hope that they are O.K. and just unable to make contact.
Chris, thanks we are fine but I'm not sure how my house and the horses are going to fare if this rain keeps up much longer.
I just had a look at the radar and Brisbane and the areas north and South
are being hammered by rain.
I'm a little worried.:worried:

Keith

Crossing my fingers, legs and manbreasts for you Pete.

That last video was scary and I'm pretty sure those people should have got the hell out of there instead of rubbernecking.

Thank goodness it only took replaceable cars with it. Funnily enough, I have a series of photos taken in July 1975 of the Desert Inn car park in Las Vegas that looks exactly the same as the aftermath of that video. The main Vegas storm drain (a bit like the LA River) ran right through their car park. Who would have expected flash floods in Vegas in the middle of summer?

The car hire company in San Francisco didn't believe me either when I took a flood manhole damaged Pontiac Grand Prix back to them... :thumbsdown:

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Just phoned my neighbours and they are on standby to evacuate now I'm really worried. Still can't do anything from this side of the world.:sad:

Pete do you need me to move any of the cars in an emergency.
trying to text you to see if you wanted me to check your place.

Mick

Pete,
I hope it works out for you, that last video was very shocking.

Whats happening in Oz is headline news over here. My thoughts are with everyone caught up in whats going on out there.

Pete,

The river is due to peak at around 4.5 metres tomorrow and nearly 5.5 metres on Thursday with the king tides.

Ipswich is expecting a peak of 22 metres.

My old neighbour has been flying journalists around all day taking photos, he's sleeping in the hangar for at least 2 nights.....

Wivenhoe dam is at 175% capacity, Somerset is around the same. Both are expected to reach 200 (ie over the wall) overnight/tomorrow. They're releasing as much water as they dare.

Basically, it's expected to be the worst flood in Brisbane for 118 years.

Outside Brisbane, there are places affected by flash flooding yesterday that are still inaccessible. The number of missing people is still 55, but there is an expectation that not all will be found safe.

And it's still raining.

Pete,

like all of us here, I do keep my fingers crossed for you, your family, your horses and all the other forum members and people affected by these horrible floods.

All the best,
Marcus

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Pete do you need me to move any of the cars in an emergency.
trying to text you to see if you wanted me to check your place.

Mick

Hi Mick didn't know you were back from NZ. My phone won't work in the USA, I got dudded on sim card that was supposed to work but wont fit the g4 Iphone.
It's 4AM Australian time at the moment. I'll ring you later and tell you where to find the keys, if necessary. You will have to break in but knowing your dodgy past that shouldn't be a problem.
Thanks mate,

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Pete,

like all of us here, I do keep my fingers crossed for you, your family, your horses and all the other forum members and people affected by these horrible floods.

All the best,
Marcus
Thanks Marcus,
Plenty of people worse of than me, but thanks for the thought.

holy God, just heard the news right now and they show the Queensland.
Tbh my very FIRST thought was to Pete!! I read him worried but more or less he seems ok.

Every year when winter comes to europe I feel too much in love with other side of the world (u know me since years...how many times did I wrote...I WAAANT AUSTRALIAAAAA).This time what happened really scared me :(

Just hope u all guys there are safe and ok.
Finger crossed for the next hours. The videos I've seen are terrific. Entire giant villa disappearing in less than 5 seconds.
I pray for people down there...

Last edited:

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jeez Pete,

I hope it all works out for you and everyone else caught up in this disaster. Insurance is fine but its the things you lose that are special or irreplaceable. That is the biggest loss.

My thoughts and best wishes for a good outcome are with you Pete, and all my other Aussie mates, as you wait at the mercy of the weather systems.

Fingers crossed,

Russ

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Just watching the latest news from Brisbane. 10" of rain in one hour. How terrifying.
Pete, I hope everything is OK for you both. I wish there was something I could do.

Hey Pete/Di, I went back to my roots found break & enter came back to me just like it was yesterday. Had to break into the double hung window next to the laundry (smallest window) only to discover after we broke the glass it wasnt locked, could have opened itcheck twice smash once (bugger). All cars safe, Brett & I moved them to higher ground. Decided to take the TV of the wall and the amplifier along with the photos in the garage and put them up stairs. Computers and electronics form the study all with us. Only thing I couldnt get out where the bikes, water was closing all exits out of Westlake and had to move fast. while I was there the water climb up to the patio level from the pool height, it is rising really fast.
Organised a glazier to replace the window just not sure if he will get there before there is no access. Otherwise it should be all over by friday unless it pisses down again. I will go back and check as soon as I can and let you know what has been affected.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks guys, I appreciate your kind thoughts, I managed to get in touch with Mick and if required he will break in and take care of the toys. Last I heard the river is about half a meter from inundating my lower level and rising slowly. The neighbors either side have already evacuated and their lower levels are flooded, I'm a little higher than them but it looks like I will go under also.
Shit happens but lots of people worse off and now over 90 missing believed perished. Pray for them and their families

http://www.abc.net.au/local/photos/2011/01/11/3110774.htm

Nice to have a friend (?) :) like Mick to come over and put all your stuff in a 'safe' place. I watched some of the video from Toowoomba (sp?) wild stuff. Where do you come up with these names? But what's the worry, you're probably getting snowed under in Steamboat!

We'll keep our fingers crossed.

Good onya Mick

Last edited:
Back