bellhousings flywheels, and clutches

I ended up with this setup which thus far is working very well. It is a tilton hyd. throwout (the 1.9" tall porsche unit) and a custom adapter to mount it to the three bolts that hold on the front bearing support. That combined with the 19lb Tilton clutch make for very smooth operation.

Attachments

• 33931-TO_installed.jpg
    33931-TO_installed.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 340
This is the flywheel assembly in relation to the throwout as installed with the belhousing removed to see how it all fits. Note 7.25" diameter clutch relative to the OE diameter flywheel. Total weight for flywheel clutch and pressure plate is 19lbs.

Attachments

• 33932-TOandClutch.jpg
    33932-TOandClutch.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 348
Guys, I used a hydraulic internal release bearing with a 9.5 inch AP clutch on Robins car, I also designed and made a special front seal carrier to the ZF so that it would also act as a pressure pad for the bearing to thrust on, all much the same as Gary has done. We have used the car for three seasons competition in this form without having to replace any item in the clutch line, Frank

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Gary / Frank,
Many thanks for the clear response and those great pictures.
Now I have decision to make hydraulic of mechanical ?
In answer to Gary's older question - McLeod supply various clutches and a matching mechanical throw out bearing for US and European Panteras and I'm looking into this as one option. Check out their web catalogue under Pantera.
If I go for hydraulics - I hav'nt yet got the original external clutch slave cylinder and the release lever, so will I still require these standard parts or have the gurus come up with something better ?
I'm tedious but much obliged to you both,

When buying the TO bearing be mindfull of the diameter of the forks compared to the contact diameter of the TO. The McLeod was too large a contact diameter to work with the Tilton 7.25" clutch.

Back