Restomod or modernized GT 40?

Hi,

My apologies if this is the wrong section. Outside of Ruffian, does anyone know of any instances where someone took a gt40 kit and modernized the inside or outside? I’d like to order a kit soon and would like to upgrade or modernize the inside and outside on some level but not sure what my options would be or what the capabilities are. This would primarily be a street car for me.
Thank you.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Perhaps this one

ian

Howard Jones

Supporter
I think if I were to build a street car like a GT40 today I would do an RCR GTR. Pretty much the same experience but just a bit bigger inside with better aerodynamics. You would have to talk to Fran but I think there isn't a lot of difference between the GT-40 and the GTR in cost for the basic kit.

The GTR just has quite a bit more room internally everywhere for modern electronics as well as room in the interior for two people. Figure 10% or so everywhere. That doesn't seem like much but the GTR is 4 inches taller more or less and that is a LOT of headroom. The rest of the interior is similarly expanded as well. If this idea interests you I would call Fran and ask when you could sit in the two examples then book a flight to Detroit and see what you think.

They do look very similar especially if you want a modern look on a GT40.

By the way, how tall are you? long legs or long body? Weight?

I think if I were to build a street car like a GT40 today I would do an RCR GTR. Pretty much the same experience but just a bit bigger inside with better aerodynamics. You would have to talk to Fran but I think there isn't a lot of difference between the GT-40 and the GTR in cost for the basic kit.

The GTR just has quite a bit more room internally everywhere for modern electronics as well as room in the interior for two people. Figure 10% or so everywhere. That doesn't seem like much but the GTR is 4 inches taller more or less and that is a LOT of headroom. The rest of the interior is similarly expanded as well. If this idea interests you I would call Fran and ask when you could sit in the two examples then book a flight to Detroit and see what you think.

They do look very similar especially if you want a modern look on a GT40.

By the way, how tall are you? long legs or long body? Weight?

I’m not tall at all lol. I’m 5’8.

Bill Kearley

Supporter
Home made dash ???? The one supplied with my CAV was junk. I would never want to change the body shape .

Attachments

• GOPR0673.JPG
    GOPR0673.JPG
    338 KB · Views: 166
  • GOPR0678.JPG
    GOPR0678.JPG
    377.8 KB · Views: 187

Howard Jones

Supporter
5ft 8in with normal body proportions and about 160-180 lbs is a good match for a GT40. Taller and bigger people can and do fit, but I think you would likely be fine unless you have an abnormally tall trunk and short legs.

Fabio, I live in New Braunfels TX (78132) That's about an hour from you. I have a GTD 40. That is one of the older kits but it does pretty much have the same interior and original bodywork as the original. If you like you can sit in mine. The driver's seat is permanently placed for me and I'm 5'2" so I don't think you can fit on the driver's side of the car. However, you could sit on the passenger side and see what you think. If I get a chance to finish up the shifter adjustments I can take you for a short ride if you like.

PM me and we can work out a date that will work for both of us.

Last edited:
I have done a lot og small things to try to do my own modern version of the Gt40.
One of the things I have done is to skip all the Gauges and installed a Haltech dash and a Lenovo tablet. The tablet speeks with the Ecu(Maxxecu) to show all engine data. The dash talks to the Ecu on Canbus. So all info is possible to display.

On the outside i am going for a modern Gulf livery to take the car int 2023 and not 1965.

For some real insperation go to https://www.facebook.com/groups/645045339669705?locale=nb_NO

Attachments

• IMG_8475.jpeg
    IMG_8475.jpeg
    422.4 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_8434.jpeg
    IMG_8434.jpeg
    517.2 KB · Views: 136
Back