Best ECU available in the US

Sorry Brian but I take exception to the the POS Edelbrock controller judgement. I have the POS in my Cobra and it does what I need it to do. That controller sits on my center tunnel and it provides much information while driving my Cobra. I can glance down and confirm what the gauges are
telling me. It's nice to have a cross reference. The Controller is very simple to use when tuning the engine . It has Closed and open loop. You can change any perameters
you need on the fly. It uses a global trim or you can do them seperatly. If you prefer a laptop program you can purchase that option. There is a enough versatility to get the job done for the type of application I have. It is far more effeciant than a carburator and gives unbeleivable performance.
The Edelbrock system is easy to install and easy to learn. It does what it is supposed to do. It wasn't meant to be the be all end all ECU package. It fills its nitch. All these other systems are probably great and they will most likely run anything you attach it to. I think most guys on this forum just want a good dependable system that doesn't cost a fortune. I don't see that many GT40s with need of a system with a bunch of bells and whistles that they will never use.
I don't know anything about training wheels or glow in the dark grips but I do know I'm happy with a time of 11:91 at 124 MPH in the 1/4 mile. That's with a small block. I also have a six speed tranny and I get 21 MPG on the highway. I love having that cake and eatin' too.
grin.gif

It simply goes back to what you and others have stated.....Make sure you know what your needs are first then go looking for the best options that fit your needs and your price.
Just remember guys, anyone that's a dealer for these units wants you to buy his product. So it's up to you to find a way to sort out all the hype and find what works.
So far every single representitive I have talked to has sung the praises of his product. It's just the way of the sales world. It's up to the consumer to wade through the information to get what he wants. Even still, I do like it when vendors come on this board. We learn from their words of experience and it makes us a more educated consumer.
Thanks again Brian, but next time, please leave my Edelbrock POS out of it, OK.
wink.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Hersh
smile.gif

Paul,

I thought it meant idle but the other reference sounded like "start-up". Thanks for enlightening me.

Mark

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mark Le Vea:
Paul,

What's a tickover? Something you need a flea collar for?

Mark
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Mark -
Me thinks you know already - however in the event that you don't - read 'idle rpm'.

best wishes

PaulT
grin.gif

Thanks to everyone for such an informative thread! A real eye opener...

About that Motec - am I understanding it right when I see it implied that it's ILLEGAL for me to have an M800 flown into the US?!? Is it actually illegal, or do I just forfeit any opportunity to use Motec USA's tech line?

If I know where I can buy a Motec M800 with an unterminated wiring loom BRAND NEW with a verified serial number, boxed up and air freighted here for $2,500, why shouldn't I??? If it means that I send an email to Motec Australia rather than Motec USA for technical help, I can cope with that.

Peter

Peter,
The way I understand it is that you can buy a motec from any dealer in the world and you should recieve support. The Roaring Forties company is a dealer and his GT40's are set up for motec. I have called the U.S.
distributor and dealer and recieved good
tech advise. They also were aware that my unit was from Australia. I believe that the
serial number is the key. They have a way to check and see where it was purchased. If you call for assistance and can't provide that information you may be out of luck.

Hersh
smile.gif

Thanks for the reply Hersh. That's what I figured - if I pay my money for the product, and it is bought through a legitimate entity in Australia, then who can stop me???

If the serial number shows as being legitimate (not stolen etc), then it's just my good luck for knowing where I can get close to 50% discount for the product
grin.gif

No one-off deal either, just the everyday pricing that he put together for me. M800, custom loom with military connector, everything sent by air to my door for WAY less than a bare M800 on it's own from Motec USA.
confused.gif

A GT40 and a Cobra. That's some decision you must have to make.... motor in front, or motor out back today??? AirCond, or wind in the hair???

Peter

Peter,
Of lately it has been an easy choice. I am still learning and getting comfortable with
the GT. It has been an absolute pleasure to drive. I enjoy the long drives a lot more as the seating is so comfortable. I get many
more thumbs up from people than I ever did
with the Cobra. When I park this thing, it
attracts a large crowd everytime. I really like the attention.
The Cobra has been my faithful toy for 14yrs. I must admitt that she is a little tarnished and needs a good going over. I am
going to try and do that this Spring provided I can stay away from the GT.
grin.gif

Hersh
smile.gif

PS... My license plate reads "1LEMANS"
The reverse of your monikor.
grin.gif

Hersh - nice license plate!
wink.gif
When driving long distances do you find the sensation of speed is lost, and that you end up going faster than you thought or planned?

Peter

Peter,
Many people say that because the GT is lower you have the sensation of going faster than you are. I on the other hand feel that the GT is more stable and I feel
more confident at a higher speed than in my Cobra. So far I have only been up to 135MPH.
Once that I am fully confident in the GT's ability and mine I will go faster on the track.
When I'm on the highway I tend to go with the flow of others. I try to blend with the faster moving bunch. Sometimes though I do find myself going a little faster if the conditions permit.

Hersh
smile.gif

Just thought I'd pop back into this thread one last time and mention that I've got the Haltech E11 and E6K available. I'm looking into becoming a MoTeC dealer (Thanks George and Jay at MoTeC for everything!) and hope to include the MoTeC lineup in my offerings shortly after the first of the year.

If anyone is interested in the E11 or E6K, you can reach me at [email protected].

Merry Christmas!

Brian Kennedy

Max,
After all the research I have done I still see no system out there that will cost under 4K when all is said and done. I'm reffering to a completed system with all the electronics and the eight barrel fuel
injection manifold.Also none of these eight barrel injection units come with a distributor or a crank firing system. That is extra with most of them.
If you would like to try and build your own fuel delivery less electronics then try this place. http://www.jenvey.co.uk/
They will sell you all you need to build it.

Hersha
smile.gif

Max,

I have just taken possession of my Hilborn EFI unit. She's a beauty all polished up and looking like chrome.
http://www.hilborninjection.com/product.asp?Id=338&CatId=38

I paid just under $3K for the unit minus their ECU and fuel pumps. An ECU that offers what I need is going to run $2500 (Haltech) to $3000 (Electromotive) complete. I plan on playing with closed loop fuel and spark timing just cuz I'm a car geek. And we don't need to steekin' distributor. It's, like, so yestertech.

You're going to have to pay if you want 8 stacks in the back window whether it's Webers or EFI look-alikes. Otherwise it's multi-port and a simpler ECU system.

It's your choice. I'm sure the Edelbrock unit will be ungodly fast. Personally I can't wait for the droning sound of 8 stacks behind my right ear. But that's $6K not $4K.

Mark

With 70 postings on this subject, you would think it would be ready to put to bed, but Daniel D's post #43 was never answered, and I think a lot of people want to know. The question is what would it cost for a complete system. Jet Engine Doctor? Wayne Presley? (I emailed you a while back asking for a quote, but never heard back). Anyone else? I'm just about ready to buy the Edelbrock system from Summit (10% off until Dec. 31st, so I have to act fast), but I wanted to explore other options. Ideally, I would want the cheapest system that has a Weber look. Thanks, Max.

OK, the 302 manifold with SDS fuel computer is $3375 and with the Electromotive TEC 3 the price is $5100. The 351W versions are $3475 and $5200 respectively.
Mark, I sell the complete small block Ford set up for the TEC 3 for $2650
Hersh, the Electromotive is crank fire.

Go to the WinTEC 3 software page and download the full programming software and check out all the functions of the system.

I've talked with Wayne a few times about this. If you are going for the fuel managemnet system only to the best of my knowledge you will have to supply your own fuel pump, fuel regulator and fuel injectors. Approximate total cost of these items is about $500. If you want the system to control spark as well you will have to go with the upgraded system at an additional cost and supply your own MSD 6AL box, distibutor and coil. This cost is probably an additional $500 more.
Daniel

Max, the SDS fuel computer still needs an ignition system. You can also get the SDS with ignition control but you still need the MSD 6A, distributor and coil.

Hey Dan, give me a call back, I was coaching the middle school basketball team when you called last time.

Max,
For what it's worth, I think Wayne is givin' a smokin' deal for an eight barrel system with the electronics. If you gotta have an eight barrel system then this is the best offering price wise I've seen.

Hersh
smile.gif

Wow,

Wayne, your price for the manifold with SDS is really good. Even if the SDS is a basic unit, it would work for me. Are there any other accessories that I would need? Thanks, Max.

Wayne,

My ~$3000 price for the TEC3 includes

1. TEC3
2. MAP
3. MAT
4. Trigger wheel and sensor
5. water temp
6. narrow band O2
7. knock sensor
8. coils
9. harness and terminations

Does your $2650 cover all those items?