Big Block V8 In SLC Possible?

For the transaxle I was thinking of tracking down the guys who did the tranny for the monster MT900S with the Nelson Racing twin turbo engine in it. Anyone got any leads on them?

Why not use a Riccardo? That's what I'll be using with an engine that makes more power. the TT FGT guys run them with 0 problems (to my knowledge), and they put me to shame- like fricken 1400RWhp/tq

Unless you're looking for something more exotic like sequential shifting?

Ya know, the more I think about it, knowing that a big block could probably be made to work, the more I want one now!

Ahhhhhh, I just keep heading back into the dinosaur age ... what can I saw, big cubes make Alex happy :D

Why not get a crate (or built) Viper V10 to power your SL-C?
This would definitely "stand out" and "be special" - probably would be the 1st person to do it as well...

awsxo5.jpg

Overall dimensions of the Viper engine are: top to bottom - 26", front to rear - 34-1/2", width across the valve covers - 23".

Having tracked a Viper myself, I first checked into this before I purchased my SLC. The length is the killer.

Don't forget that a V10 will always sound like 2 pissed off civics mated together ;)

No matter how much power they make, blah, they just sound so horrible - hated the exhaust note on my old viper!

Don't forget that a V10 will always sound like 2 pissed off civics mated together ;)

No matter how much power they make, blah, they just sound so horrible - hated the exhaust note on my old viper!

Hey Alex please play guinea pig and get the LSX454R crate motor... 720hp/680tq with the ability to handle 2k+... That kinda power for $15kish is a deal IMHO. Oh and soon after you build is complete I would enjoy a test drive... just sayin :)

I remember reading in an article one of the design engineers saying the exhaust note was their biggest challenge. His quote about the initial mules were that they sounded like a UPS truck :)

I agree regarding the V-10. I think they sound awful unless they are winding past 9K rpms.

However, I did find the BMW M5 V-10 to sound pretty good, much closer to a cross plane V-8, at least from inside the car. Don't know how they managed that.

Actually, on that same note, I think I have a line on a stroked and poked BMW V-10 long block, built by Dinan. I think they were asking something like $12K for it, it has about 2K miles on it. Not for me, but if anyone is interested, I can look into it.

Tom

Tom,
that would be a killer sounding engine in any car....

I think one of the issues with the BMW, in fact with most new electronics loaded engines making them run standalone for reasonable money...

Last edited:
"I agree regarding the V-10. I think they sound awful unless they are winding past 9K rpms." (Tom)

You can wind the Snake's V10 past 9K to get the sound you want.......ONCE! Then they make a truly horrible sound.

"I agree regarding the V-10. I think they sound awful unless they are winding past 9K rpms." (Tom)

You can wind the Snake's V10 past 9K to get the sound you want.......ONCE! Then they make a truly horrible sound.

Speaking from experience? :stunned:

Back