Big Block V8 In SLC Possible?

a Merc V12 will not fit in an SLC chassis ...but it will fit in a 962 RCR chassis

Gotchya.

I remember reading in an article one of the design engineers saying the exhaust note was their biggest challenge. His quote about the initial mules were that they sounded like a UPS truck :)

Sounds like they should have taken it to Yamaha for acoustic tuning like Toyota did with the LFA's V10 :thumbsup:

...however, I did find the BMW M5 V-10 to sound pretty good, much closer to a cross plane V-8, at least from inside the car. Don't know how they managed that.
Tom
The V10 in the M5/M6 sounds great but a lot more tame compared to that of Lamborghini (Gallardo).

From what I understand the Viper V10 doesn't sound like the BMW V10, the Audi/Lamborghini V10, the Lexus LFA V10 or the Porsche Carrera V10.

I can vouch for the Audi V10, the Lexus V10 and the Porsche V10, any of those give me a trouser crises upon hearing them.

V10's have their place as do V8's.

Apparently the Audi V10 is TINY and can virtually fit in the same place as an LSx.... Audi V10 SL-C is where my money would be if it wasn't an LS3 of sorts.

Benji

The Viper normally does not have a great sounding exhaust note due to its odd firing order. Basically runs like a 5 cylinder motor.

You can however put on an exhaust that will give it a pretty good sound. My Viper setup sounds pretty good at idle and a lot like an angry sport bike when I get on it. Of course if the engine doesn't fit, it won't really matter if it sounds good or not!

I love the LS option for a powerplant... but is there any way to get high hp gains without an aggressive cam set up? I hate the whole burp burp burp I'm popping popcorn sound coming from the back end of a beautiful. Some people like their cars to sound "dirty" but IMHO it doesn't go with the supercar look or, what I can only assume, feel of an SL-C. Chevy Chavelle SS, Old School Impala, (place any muscle car you want here) in a quarter mile straight... yes... SL-C for street use and club track days... no...

OMG! There's a corner! I thought you guys didn't do those ;)

I have to agree with Lucas on this one, lumpy cams and lots of popping on the overrun is in my mind a big no no on something like the SL-C.

Really could you imagine an Enzo or a Veyron like that?

I have to agree with Lucas on this one, lumpy cams and lots of popping on the overrun is in my mind a big no no on something like the SL-C.

Just wait, Fran has built everything.
It's only a matter of time until he produces something GM could never, billet aluminum v12's :thumbsup:
2,000 HP - reliable without popcorn exhaust

I would never compare the SL-C to an Enzo or a Veyron. Different goals were chosen when designing and building those cars. The SL-C was meant for something else.

Are you a fan of auto racing?
Feel free to jump ahead to 3:06 in the video.
YouTube - Pure Sounds Vol. 2 - Les Combes to Rivage - Le Mans Series 2010 - Spa

marc

Lifetime Supporter
Alex etal,
BBC in a SLC is like putting a rotary in a GT40. It just wrong. you know the L stands for lightweight? There is nothing about a BBC that is light.
If I was thinking of a SLC build and i wanted some serious power you laugh but a destroked aluminum small block (sb2.2 heads) that was built to 10k-11k rpm with a 6speed sequential and if you need to boost it maybe some turbos. your looking a 500 to 700 HP with hopefully most of it at the top end so you don't blow off the tires. It is not fun to put an insane amount of power in an SLC as it becomes undriveable.

Now Alex, put down the HOTROD Magazine, stop looking at the old fashion muscle cars, and remember your not trying to push 2 tons down the road.

LOL! Wink, Wink.

BTW my 427 is an LS and staying pretty stock in my P4 so what 540hp?

In jest.

Marc

The truly depressing thing about putting a BBC or other heavy engine setup into an SLC will occur when you start braking for a turn only to have some S7 derivative or Miata outbrake you into the turn. Coming out of the turn, they jump on it, and you can't until you're fully lined up with the straight - otherwise you'll spin the tires.

At the next turn, the cycle continues, and, unless the track has a lot of long straights, you will lose.

Now, THAT would be a bummer.

Ron Earp

Admin
The truly depressing thing about putting a BBC or other heavy engine setup into an SLC will occur when you start braking for a turn only to have some

You guys do know you can build all aluminum big block Chevys (and Fords, MOPARS, etc) that are similar in weight to LS motors but can be a lot bigger? Not sure I'd do that, but the big block doesn't have to have a huge weight penalty given the possible increase in capacity. Transaxle cost would be up there for sure.

Back