Build table

What have people done about building on a build table? I want something I can wheel around in my garage and can take the weight of the car with engine box in place. What size steel should I use? I wanted to have adjustable wheel fittings so I can level the table. Good idea? Any advice or pics of what you've done? Thanks
Simon

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Simon

i looked at putting one together with scaffolding
a) pipes are strong
b) You can get wheel that are height adjustable and also lock to stop them rolling

May be worth looking at

Ian

Ron Earp

Admin
Doesn't have to be steel. I made one from 2x4s and 4x4s. Mounted it on casters with locking elemets. Worked great and was easy to build. Probably cost $40 in materials, plenty strong.

Mike Pass

Supporter
Hi Simon,
Mick Sollis makes trestles on castors. Check out martin Gough's Southern GT build - there may be some pics showing them with the full car on them with engine and box in place. we can move the car about easily on them to give more space on one side when needed. access to the underside is also good as they can be moved about by a kacking up the car and repositioning - a table will block access to the underside.
Cheers
Mike

Hi Simon.......I have gone the other extreme and built a table that will hold the weight of the complete car, I have also done my table so that once the chassis is done and moved to the ground I can build the mould for the body on it. As Ron did I built mine from Timber as it was basicaly FREE for me as I had the contacks in the trade. Also I wanted to be able to screw Jigs and bracing to the table easily and working with wood is easy with the use of good glue and screws and when finshed with it makes good fire wood. I will add casters that hinge on each corner so you can move the table and then flick them out so the table sits firmly on the ground. If you go to M20Dreaming in the Can-Am section you can see photos of the table.

Cheers Leonmac

Hi Simon:

I built my chassis jig from 2" x 3" .187" wall rectangular tube. If I were to do it again I would make it a bit taller I think it is about 8" tall. I put casters on it but only steers on one end. I would put swivel casters with brakes on all four corners. For just working on the car .083" wall tube would work. You could install leveling bolts with a pad on the end of them.

Brian Magee

Supporter
Hi Simon,
I built this table when I first started my build. It has castors on the corners but I fitted the larger wheels when I needed to move it about outside. It is made of 2" angle and will take the weight of the chassis with engine and transmission. Once the wheels were on the car then went on the floor.
At the moment it resides at Chris Edward's house near Winchester. Chris no longer needs it so you are welcome to it if you can collect.
If you are interested, send me a PM.

Brian.

Attachments

• Chassis table resizes.jpg
    Chassis table resizes.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 378
I am now the custodian of Brian's build table, many thanks Brian and Chris.
I will make the table available for another GT40 builder when I have finished with it (however that may not be for another decade at the rate I'm progressing!)
Simon

attachment.php

A bit late now Simon but just my version of the build table, I also included full size shelf so everything is together. Wheels are 125kg ea rating but in hindsight will need to be up-sized

Attachments

• build table.jpg
    build table.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 639
Build table now holding the build!
A few hairy moments hauling it up there with the engine hoist and axle stands extended to their fullest reach!

Simon

Attachments

• build-table.jpg
    build-table.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 347
Doesn't have to be steel. I made one from 2x4s and 4x4s. Mounted it on casters with locking elemets. Worked great and was easy to build. Probably cost $40 in materials, plenty strong.

That's what I did on my cobra and will re-use on my rcr - bunch of 2x4s and 4x4s nailed together with locking casters. Great for rolling around the frame and hasn't failed me yet.

(you can kind of see them under the frame in this really old pic)

dolly1.jpg

Heres the build table we built in our shop. Its 2 x 2 tubing. 2" angle and a shelf on bottm to hold parts and is on 5" casters. This can be built for $300 and last a lifetime.

Attachments

• DSC09957 small.jpg
    DSC09957 small.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 315
Back