Burning Volts.

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
If Politicians knew anything about business, they would be in business. Those that have left business for politics have either, A) failed at business, or B) realised that they can bolster their personal holdings through manipulating public office.

I'm convinced Romney is not guilty of (A)...reports I have read indicate he is a genius at analysis in the business world and has amassed a huge fortune during his work in the business field.

I'm firmly convinced Romney is (B)...:thumbsdown: !!!

I've said it before...will say it again....if he really wants to help our country, I believe his best chance involves staying in the business world, doing what he can to help some of those companies he has been involved with in the past to recover their economic strength, and not only saving jobs, but building new sources of jobs....all things I believe he could do in the business world better than as a politician.

Cheers!

Doug

Quite incredible how you manage to mis-read my every word Jim. Place more emphasis on 'theories' from my post. I have utmost respect for scientists Jim. I have no respect for their theories being treated by politicians as facts for political gain one way or another.

Ho Hum, round and round we go. We're Losing on the swings and losing on the roundabouts.

Thanks Doug for offering an alternative reply to Jim's utter rubbish.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Ergo one of the main reasons the world economy is in the tank: Uneducated Politicians taking advice from Scientists on unproven theories and then scaring the population into taxation and heavily subsidised industries.

What a world we have created for ourselves. Instead of fighting each other over who did what to whom and who's candidate has the whitest teeth, we should all demand that our Politicians STAY THE HELL OUT OF BUSINESS!

If Politicians knew anything about business, they would be in business. Those that have left business for politics have either, A) failed at business, or B) realised that they can bolster their personal holdings through manipulating public office.

Baaaaah Baaaahh Baaaaaah

Mark, you give me hope. Well said.

Thanks Pete. It's reassuring to know that I am not some kind of modern-day Robinson Crusoe

Even if I am an utter nut job, it's nice to have good company my friend! ;)

Keith

Peekford mon ami, we already 'ave a Nutjob and 'is nom est Bob.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLTR8qYWJbQ"]Well, Bob - YouTube[/ame]

Accordingly, you will 'ave to become le Nutjob a Deux.

A demain....

A tout a l'heure..

Hilarious Nick, but for the benefit of our American cousins, you ought to post a link to the Fiat Strada sketch for them to be able to understand the value of this one. :)

Hilarious Nick, but for the benefit of our American cousins, you ought to post a link to the Fiat Strada sketch for them to be able to understand the value of this one. :)

I forgot about that one, thereby conclusively proving conservatives are funnier than democrats, (well they make me laugh) oh bugger, don't mention politics, or global warming, I did once but I think I got away with it ;)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNPTlT8HXjk]NTNOCN - Fiat - Built by Robots - YouTube[/ame]

It is no secret that President Obama’s and green-energy supporters’ (from both parties) foray into venture capitalism has not gone well. But the extent of its failure has been largely ignored by the press. Sure, single instances garner attention as they happen, but they ignore past failures in order to make it seem like a rare case.

The truth is that the problem is widespread. The government’s picking winners and losers in the energy market has cost taxpayers billions of dollars, and the rate of failure, cronyism, and corruption at the companies receiving the subsidies is substantial. The fact that some companies are not under financial duress does not make the policy a success. It simply means that our taxpayer dollars subsidized companies that would’ve found the financial support in the private market.

So far, 36 companies that have received federal support from taxpayers have either gone bankrupt or are laying off workers and are heading for bankruptcy. This list includes only those companies that received federal money from the Obama Administration’s Department of Energy. The amount of money indicated does not reflect how much was actually received or spent but how much was offered. The amount also does not include other state, local, and federal tax credits and subsidies, which push the amount of money these companies have received from taxpayers even higher.

The complete list of faltering or bankrupt green-energy companies:
1.Evergreen Solar ($24 million)*
2.SpectraWatt ($500,000)*
3.Solyndra ($535 million)*
4.Beacon Power ($69 million)*
5.AES’s subsidiary Eastern Energy ($17.1 million)
6.Nevada Geothermal ($98.5 million)
7.SunPower ($1.5 billion)
8.First Solar ($1.46 billion)
9.Babcock and Brown ($178 million)
10.EnerDel’s subsidiary Ener1 ($118.5 million)*
11.Amonix ($5.9 million)
12.National Renewable Energy Lab ($200 million)
13.Fisker Automotive ($528 million)
14.Abound Solar ($374 million)*
15.A123 Systems ($279 million)*
16.Willard and Kelsey Solar Group ($6 million)
17.Johnson Controls ($299 million)
18.Schneider Electric ($86 million)
19.Brightsource ($1.6 billion)
20.ECOtality ($126.2 million)
21.Raser Technologies ($33 million)*
22.Energy Conversion Devices ($13.3 million)*
23.Mountain Plaza, Inc. ($2 million)*
24.Olsen’s Crop Service and Olsen’s Mills Acquisition Company ($10 million)*
25.Range Fuels ($80 million)*
26.Thompson River Power ($6.4 million)*
27.Stirling Energy Systems ($7 million)*
28.LSP Energy ($2.1 billion)*
29.UniSolar ($100 million)*
30.Azure Dynamics ($120 million)*
31.GreenVolts ($500,000)
32.Vestas ($50 million)
33.LG Chem’s subsidiary Compact Power ($150 million)
34.Nordic Windpower ($16 million)*
35.Navistar ($10 million)
36.Satcon ($3 million)*

*Denotes companies that have filed for bankruptcy.

The problem begins with the issue of government picking winners and losers in the first place. Venture capitalist firms exist for this very reason, and they choose what to invest in by looking at companies’ business models and deciding if they are worthy. When the government plays venture capitalist, it tends to reward companies that are connected to the policymakers themselves or because it sounds nice to “invest” in green energy.

The 2009 stimulus set aside $80 billion to subsidize politically preferred energy projects. Since that time, 1,900 investigations have been opened to look into stimulus waste, fraud, and abuse (although not all are linked to the green-energy funds), and nearly 600 convictions have been made. Of that $80 billion in clean energy loans, grants, and tax credits, at least 10 percent has gone to companies that have since either gone bankrupt or are circling the drain.

http://drudgegae.iavian.net/r?hop=h...obamas-taxpayer-backed-green-energy-failures/

Last edited:

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Bob, you devil you, you've been reading my stock portfolio I sent you, and you were supposed to keep it a secret.....that does it, LB, no more insider info for you, buddy....

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
I don't know about all the others, but I think Johnson Controls is healthy. They just bought A123 who went bust. I think Navistar is okay as well. Those are the only ones with which I am familiar.

The funny thing is with all this government backing/subsidy BS, my company is very small, yet it saves our business client's tens of millions of pounds per year on energy. All this without a nickle in support or subsidy from government.

Yet over here we now have politicians saying that government should force suppliers to charge a set rate for energy and the de-regulation hasn't worked well.

The day a government is allowed to set a price that a private company can charge for it's product, we are all fooked and frankly wasted a gazillion bucks defending ourselves from Stalin. And as for subsidising a business. Screw that! If a company cannot find its own backing, then it isnt a particularly valid business is it?

I've said it before and apologise for boring you, but please, GOVERNMENT! GET THE HELL OUT OF BUSINESS!!

Don't we ALL really know its not about the environment, renewables, energy self sufficiency, etc. but about CONTROL????

The funny thing is with all this government backing/subsidy BS, my company is very small, yet it saves our business client's tens of millions of pounds per year on energy. All this without a nickle in support or subsidy from government.

Yet over here we now have politicians saying that government should force suppliers to charge a set rate for energy and the de-regulation hasn't worked well.

The day a government is allowed to set a price that a private company can charge for it's product, we are all fooked and frankly wasted a gazillion bucks defending ourselves from Stalin. And as for subsidising a business. Screw that! If a company cannot find its own backing, then it isnt a particularly valid business is it?

I've said it before and apologise for boring you, but please, GOVERNMENT! GET THE HELL OUT OF BUSINESS!!

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
the funny thing is with all this government backing/subsidy bs, my company is very small, yet it saves our business client's tens of millions of pounds per year on energy. All this without a nickle in support or subsidy from government.

The day a government is allowed to set a price that a private company can charge for it's product, we are all fooked and frankly wasted a gazillion bucks defending ourselves from stalin. And as for subsidising a business. Screw that! If a company cannot find its own backing, then it isnt a particularly valid business is it?

I've said it before and apologise for boring you, but please, government! Get the hell out of business!!

+1000,000. Get out and stay out.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
The problem is that we have no choice in how foolishly liberal government spends our money.

“It’s a glaring example of the failure of central planning trying to force citizens to purchase something they may not want. … They should let the free market make those decisions.”

Chevy Volt Tops Consumer Satisfaction Rating Again

DETROIT - General Motors Co's plug-in car topped Consumer Reports' annual owner-satisfaction survey for the second straight year.
Ninety-two percent of Volt owners surveyed by the influential consumer magazine said they would definitely buy the Volt again, the electric car the top ranking. Last year, 93 percent of respondents said they would buy the car again.

92%, thats incredable!

OK Mr Fechter, tell us again about failure and forcing people to buy something they do not want!

Last edited:
Back