Burning Volts.

Subsidizing @ $49,000 per unit and leasing for $2,500 down and $250 a month for a car with a list price of $39,000 is not the "free market."

Anyone who would buy one of those things would love it even if they had to peddle it down a hill to get it started.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Mr Fechter, you said over and over is was a crappy unworkable car that nobody wants. So now you say this about the Chevy Volt:

"ANYONE WHO WOULD BUY ONE OF THESE THINGS WOULD LOVE IT"

It's apparent that you have no idea what you are talking about. Were you wong before or wrong now?

Percent of Folks who would buy another:

Chevy Volt...........92% Last year it was 93% Both times the highest of all cars!
VW Golf...............77%
Lexus GS.............89%
Chevy Silverado....49%
Toyota Prius.........85%

I'm not sure you have ever posted anything that turned out to be true!

Hows President Romney, Allen West and the Republican Senate working for you?

Last edited:

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
People who spend their life hugging trees and munching muesli bars cannot be relied upon of a definitive answer on anything. Of course they will say they love their volt. They a fanatics by definition otherwise they wouldn't have bought one in the first place.
When do you pick up yours Jim?

People who spend their life hugging trees and munching muesli bars cannot be relied upon of a definitive answer on anything. Of course they will say they love their volt. They a fanatics by definition otherwise they wouldn't have bought one in the first place.

What's the point of debating with someone who twists every word you say?

Keith

Top Gear slaughtered the Prius - Clarkson got an average 40 something to the gallon with the one he tested against 70+ mpg for a Fiat diesel or something.

Then, the Nissan Leaf (which he quite liked) ran out of juice in a City and they couldn't find a recharging point and ended up plugging it in to a local college. Then they had to stay all night while it charged, and then discovered the next day that they couldn't get anywhere next day in range of any other charging points. I think they just abandoned it in the end. There was also an issue about the batteries which were only said to last 5 years. Replacement cost? £7,000.00, but they don't tell you that in the sales brochure.

These cars are definitely not the answer with their massive subsidies, poor range and even poorer fuel economy.

Prius owners in LA admitted they were simply a status symbol or a "green statement" and had no idea how useless they are.

I mostly get about on an Israeli made 3 wheel mobility scooter. I can do 40 miles in it without recharging, it's road and pavement legal and it will go 12 mph. I love it. It accelerates like Don Garlits and I go into stores with it for any shopping that doesn't get delivered. For sure if there was a suitable solution, I would love an "electric car" but it would have to be a damn sight better than what is on offer right now.

I can't help feeling that technically, we are being "had" by the big manufacturers. If they can still communicate with that damned satellite now travelling away from the edge of the Galaxy at warp speed, with a millionth of a watt AND still be able to give it instructions over thousands of light years, why can't they make a damned world beating vehicle that doesn't rely on something you dig up out of the ground?

No(n)sense.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
You guys are really something. Just like when all the polls said Obama would win the election in a big way, you refused to believe them. You though those are just liberal polls and sould should not be believed.

How did that work for you?

Now we have the well respected Consumer Reports showing the Chevy Volt has the highest customer satisfaction two years running.................

That's higher than all other cars!!!

But you won't believe them, because they are just liberal tree huggers who sould not be believed!

You folks are Delusional. You are miss leading yourselfs, each other and us!

For years now you have complained bitterly about us spending all that money for forigen oil, you say we should do somthing about this, we want our leaders to take action!

Now when someone actually does something, all you can do is complain, lie and undermine their efforts!

Last edited:

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter

Pete, have you ever filled out a Consumer Reports automobile questionnaire?

There are many many questions, covering a wide range of areas. They ask about style, fit finish, quality of construction, problems areas, things you do not like and problems that you had with the car.

So, with nothing other than your vast knowlege of American automobiles and Americans in general, you have decided that these folks all got together in a mass conspiracy. You say that they all lied about their cars and lied about any problems they had, just to piss you off?

If you do not have anything logical to say, you might give some thought to not saying anything!

Last edited:

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
It's easy to tell when someone has lost a discussion or a debate, they stop talking about facts and make personal attacks. It seems we have a winner!

Mr Fechter, I took you off ignore beacause I did not want to miss your raction to our most recent election. I knew you would scream, cry, complain, stamp your feet, say it was fixed, refuse to believe the results and in the end you would just be a loser. I just did not want to miss the vindication.

I was not disapointed.

You still have not told us about what the leader of the "true" Conservaives was doing, now that he is out of politics. Beaten by a young nobody with little funding, who ran on little more than the fact that "HE WAS NOT ALLEN WEST":)

When you can win an election with little more going for you, other than not being "A True Conservative", things do not look too good going forward, do they Mr Fechter?

Last edited:

Keith

Perhaps the vote was "subsidised" Pete? :laugh:

Anyway, as in all polls the answer is always in the question. I am a member of a consumer panel and get paid to fill in these type of questionnaires on a daily basis for which I get paid - not a lot but it's interesting. Wide range of subjects. Sometimes I do not qualify through age, location etc. but it's not hard to see where these questions lead and who wants what answer. They will ask the same question in 4 different ways, and although the question looks similar, it has a completely different meaning.

I fill them in because it stops me getting bored, but many of them are meaningless and allow the instigator to suck out all the good news and ignore the bad by clever manipulation of the questions. However, I answer as truthfully as I can otherwise it would be a waste of time (if it isn't already)

I'm sure there must be a college degree available for this stuff!

:idea: D'oh! That would be marketing of course!

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
We all know that most of the attacks here are not really aimed at the Chevy Volt. They are aimed a President Obama, for helping to fund the development of new technology. Some folks here will post anything they think will paint him in a bad light.

Our government has done this sort of thing for a very long time and it has paid off big time. Just a few examples:

The Government funded NACA, their wind tunnels and experimental aircraft to give us an edge. Hoping that it would help our military and our Aircraft industry would gain an advantage. That has paid of in a very big way.

In the 1960s, our government helped in funding the development of micro processors, that too has paid off in an even bigger way.

Our Government helped to fund the development of the nuclear energy industry, that has also paid off.
Our Government is also helping in funding nuclear fission, solar, wind, battery and other experimental ways to produce and store energy. Just as always, some will work and some will not.

We also helped in funding Polio vaccine and ways to mass produce Penicillin! You OK with that?

Now our Government is helping to fund the development of a practical electric car, hoping that we will one day dominate this market as well, and one day soon we most likely will.

Now, not all these projects have immediately succeeded, but we always learn, we learn what does not work as well as what does.

Now, does anyone think that America would be better off if we had not helped in funding aerodynamic research? Would we be better off if the Government had not funded micro processor research? How about Polio and Penicillan?

A few years from now when we dominate the coming electric auto industry we will all be better off as well.

Back in the early NACA and the early micro processor days there were folks who complained that this funding was a horrible wast of money!

There is absolutely no doubt, they were short sighted and wrong then just as they are short sighted and wrong now!

Last edited:

Keith

No but I do enjoy winding you up. When are you getting your Volt, are you going to trade your gas guzzling GT40 on it?

Hey Pete, I would really love to get an electric green car and be able to afford museli etc. Look I have tried to be a good citizen, but you know, it's like an obstacle course down here in the Forest trying to get to the wine bar. The other day, the road was even damp and had leaves on it!

Last year, we also saw 5 mm of snow and it was bad I'll tell you. When I went out for our annual tyre burning winter solstice party I had all sorts of trouble getting there as I was bringing the beer.

I had no choice therefore to get an old truck and modify a bit so that it can now cope with the weather extremes we are getting (is this what they mean by climate warming change?). I've had it a while and although it burns around 15 mpg of heavy oil and belches out black smoke every time I nail the throttle (I had to turn the pump down to get past the annual inspection smoke test, but I cranked it right up even higher afterwards....LOL)

It's difficult to judge from this picture but I am over 6' and my head comes to below the window frame, so it is not easy to get into with my health being what it is. In a nod to green issues, I had it painted in Nato Olive Drab with matt black dazzle, so I am certainly not causing any undue light pollution.

The downside is, no-one sees me coming so I painted the ears fluoro green. Stands out well doesn't it?

I will not be trading this car ever because I love it. After a lifetime of fast cars, this is the last car I will ever own. It is over 20 years old now and in perfect mechanical condition. Gotta love the smoke though... :stunned:

By the way, when it was "normal", it lived in Tokyo for a few years :)

ForestHorn.jpg

It's serious enough for a factory recall. If it's in electric mode, nothing is running. If you forget to turn it off, eventually it drains and the engine comes on. Enough to have injured two people. If you can sue for hot coffee imagine what death from CO while sleeping in your house would garner.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
It's more of an opportunity for education for those that are ignorant.

If you walk away from a Volt while it is running and your key fob is in your pocket - it beeps at you.. Same as it was on my Camry hybrid and a friend's Prius. Both are cars that would run for miles in electeic mode without the engine running.

This is a simple firmware update.. To protect people from their own ignorance...

Back