Canadian kit car laws

Harry B was also helpful to me through the import process and I personally don't have a beef with anyone at TC. I do however question the current regulations because I don't see how they benefit anyone, on any issue.

I think Canuck's and others with interest need to inquire further about this recent ruling and find out exactly the outcome. I wouldn't trust any one source and would like to see something official at the Federal level, in writing before trying to import anything. BEWARE.

I will look into it further.

Chris

My quickie letter to Transport Canada:

Dear Mr. Baergen,

In light of a recently made public proceeding on the Canadian Federal Court's website (MACRO AUTO LEASING INC.VS THE MINISTER OF TRANSPORT) are you or anyone at Transport Canada permitted to comment on this decision and if so, whether the ruling will dictate any changes in the way car kits are classified/imported into Canada regarding what constitutes a shipment of parts that are 'capable' of easily becoming a vehicle?

Again, I would like to pass on any information if possible, to others wondering how to go about this process.

Regards,

Chris M
Newcastle ON

We'll see-

if i could get a superformance GT40 titled in the US as a 1966 ford ( and does anyone know if i can) im assuming it should be fine to bring it across?

title SPF as 1966 Fordt GT40?

has anyone in the US been successful or tried to title an SPF GT40 as a 1966 Ford GT40? if its possible it helps with import to canada

Mark Charlton

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
if i could get a superformance GT40 titled in the US as a 1966 ford ( and does anyone know if i can) im assuming it should be fine to bring it across?

I know for ABSOLUTE CERTAIN that you can NOT. The border inspectors are very savy and will immediately be able to determine that your car is NOT a 1966, but a new creation. If it is not on the RIV list of importable vehicles (it's not), and it's not legitimately older than 15 years, they will either refuse it entry, or (quite likely) allow you to attempt to fraudulently import it and then seize it as contraband. I can not emphasize enough what a very dangerous idea this would be to try.

That said, since Macro Autosports (the Canadian Superformance dealer) won their case (I assume you've read these posts), you should contact Mr. Shok there and enquire about ordering a car and see what he says.

Ron Earp

Admin
Re: title SPF as 1966 Fordt GT40?

It is definitely possible to title a SPF (or any other GT40 replica) in some US states as a 1966 Ford. As for Canada import I have no idea, but I think someone answered your question on the other thread.

Ron

I know for ABSOLUTE CERTAIN that you can NOT. The border inspectors are very savy and will immediately be able to determine that your car is NOT a 1966, but a new creation. If it is not on the RIV list of importable vehicles (it's not), and it's not legitimately older than 15 years, they will either refuse it entry, or (quite likely) allow you to attempt to fraudulently import it and then seize it as contraband. I can not emphasize enough what a very dangerous idea this would be to try.

That said, since Macro Autosports (the Canadian Superformance dealer) won their case (I assume you've read these posts), you should contact Mr. Shok there and enquire about ordering a car and see what he says.
they really arent savvy. i brought in a 1948 Harley and they wanted to know where the manufacturers sticker on the frame was,why it didnt have turn signals and made me pay PST and GST before leaving...having said that you are taking a risk

i thought they lost their case. i will read up thanks

Ron Earp

Admin
Re: title SPF as 1966 Fordt GT40?

No, that isn't what he is saying. He is saying the Canadian borders transport knows about the "trick", is aware of what people are trying to do and will bust you.

Mark Charlton

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
It was posted on this thread on Jan 1st. Here's the link again.:

Federal Court - Macro Auto Leasing Inc. v. Canada (Transport)

Keep in mind that this decision did not apply to cars that have an engine and transaxle installed, but semi-completed cars that were not even rollers. These are VERY different from a car that is completed and registered as a 1966 Ford in the States and imported here as a drivable car. Plus, it is a specific decision in a specific case and Transport Canada has yet to issue any change in it's policy as a result of that ruling.

If you have not, start at the beginning of this thread and read it all. There is some very useful info here.

By all means take your chances. I've had the odd experience with ill-informed Customs officers and can tell you from personal experience that they do not always err in your favor. When you are sitting inside a concrete room contemplating the loss of your $85,000 car you will feel rather dumb. I spent three hours in one because they disputed the value of some used parts I imported. Since they couldn't reach the seller, they threatened me with future legal action and let me go—fortunately with my parts. They did this, incidentally, AFTER I had declared them, showed a detailed invoice and bill of lading AND paid all the taxes and duties on them. Beware.

I had no problem with my bodywork at customs, they asked me if it was a kit car and I told them exactly what the bill of sale said. Fiberglass body panels for a 1969 Chevron B16 and that's all. It was all I had, paid the GST and was on my way. I offered to show the customs officer the parts in the U-Haul but I guess they were too busy. They can't stop you from importing auto parts and under NAFTA they are duty free. They are not duty free from Europe.
Dave

I doubt you'd get away with it... but if you bought the body, chassis plus extra bit's allowed in at the one time form say the UK... could you buy the rest from say the USA branch of the same company???

Or maybe have another company import them and buy them from that company???

On another note, i heard tell of some sort of Gas Guzzler tax in Canada, do GT40's fall foul of this or are they exempt?

Right now as it stands you have to do it back door unless the car is 15 years old. You have to do a bit at a time and try and source as may parts here or from the US when you are here.
Dave

Mark Charlton

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
I doubt you'd get away with it... but if you bought the body, chassis plus extra bit's allowed in at the one time form say the UK... could you buy the rest from say the USA branch of the same company???

Or maybe have another company import them and buy them from that company???

On another note, i heard tell of some sort of Gas Guzzler tax in Canada, do GT40's fall foul of this or are they exempt?

No gas guzzler tax would apply on either a 15+ year-old or importation of a bunch of parts from various sources. Parts shipped from different locations would probably not be considered a complete kit in any event. As suggested in my previous post, I think you should contact Harry Baergen at Transport Canada and get clarification. He is the ultimate authority and can really make your life much easier if you get his assistance.

There are ways to do this legally as both Chris and I (and many others) have shown.

Cheers.

Transport Canada would be looking for a "Completion Kit" shipment that contains the remainder of the parts needed to complete the build. If you were to purchase parts from other vendors outside of Canada as you need them, they would typically go through the Canada customs route and would be declared as auto parts - pay your duty and taxes and make sure you have all of the paperwork available to them.

Finding the "sweet-spot" in your submitted parts list to TC is the key. Took me 2 1/2 months to have mine approved.

Chris

Attachments

• #1145223 v1 - Christopher Martino - Authorization letter .jpg
    #1145223 v1 - Christopher Martino - Authorization letter .jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 1,067
My quickie letter to Transport Canada:

Dear Mr. Baergen,

In light of a recently made public proceeding on the Canadian Federal Court's website (MACRO AUTO LEASING INC.VS THE MINISTER OF TRANSPORT) are you or anyone at Transport Canada permitted to comment on this decision and if so, whether the ruling will dictate any changes in the way car kits are classified/imported into Canada regarding what constitutes a shipment of parts that are 'capable' of easily becoming a vehicle?

Again, I would like to pass on any information if possible, to others wondering how to go about this process.

Regards,

Chris M
Newcastle ON

We'll see-

Transport Canada's response sent to me today:

"Transport Canada has been granted leave to appeal the case in the Federal Court of Appeal. The matter has not been heard yet, but we expect that it will be heard sometime this year. While this matter is in litigation and until this matter is finally settled, we suggest that you not make any long-term business plans in reliance on this decision as it is specific to the facts in the Macro case, and may be overturned on appeal."

Don't hold your breath...

Chris

Back