CAV Safety Alert

picture #4

Attachments

• 50354-BatteryRelocate-04.JPG
    50354-BatteryRelocate-04.JPG
    25.6 KB · Views: 281
Great job and pictures Bob. Thought I'd pass a intresting fuel tank aviation story about a MD-80 (stretch DC9) jet . In the hanger there is a check on the wing integral tanks (no bladder) that the manual calls out for presurizing using a special tool to I believe 7 psi. The maintenace dock did not have this tool and repeatedly requested the tool and tried to order it.(unit cost several thousand dollars) In the mean time a make shift unit was made up . This continued for several years . One day while checking the tanks a MASSIVE KAAAAAPOOOOOWWWWWW echoed through the hanger. Seems something went wrong with the makeshift setup and full shop air fed into the tanks ,,,100psi !!!, causing a huge sheetmetal buckling, fastener popping, primary wing skin catastrophy .

The bean counters trying to save a few grand ended up with one of the most extensive super 80 repairs in airline history. A whole team of Douglas/Boeing engineers accended on the craft , and had never seen anything like this before !
Personally if your CAV tank holds 3psi and you apply soapy water and show no leaks , I bet your good to go.
Why test fate ,,,LOL regards, Dan /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Back